News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A rough day

Started by raevyncait, April 16, 2012, 08:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raevyncait

??? a few miles from home, I blew a radiator hose this evening. I was blessed to have a very nice couple stop, he looked to see if it was something he could take care of, but alas it was not so they followed me to the nearest open mechanic, and mad sure I had transportation to get home.  The mechanic, who I know was trying to prepare me for the worst case scenario, expressed some concern about the integrity of the engine, but I'm hopeful that since it was such a short trip, there's hope for me to keep the car on the road.

At any rate, I'd appreciate any prayers, good vibes, positive energies, and anything else ya'll could spare, because I do not have the funds to buy another car, or pay for an expensive fix on this one.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Merlin the Elder

On the way, Raevyncait...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Baron Frederick

Good thoughts are on the way !!!!
Baron Frederick

Rani Zemirah

Oh, I most certainly am sending all the healthy engine energy I can muster directly to you and your vehicle, Raevyn! 

I'm so very glad someone felt the call to stop and help you, as much as they were able... and wish the same for everyone who finds themselves stranded, and unable to get where they need to be.
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

raevyncait

thanks ya'll. A new water pump, radiator flush & oil change have her road-ready again. They did recommend a new thermostat & new hoses (an additional $300 that I just don't have right now) in the near future. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get her picked up after work. The mechanic did say that the engine seems to have been well maintained, and is in great condition, given her age (she's a '91 Taurus).
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Rani Zemirah

Oh, HUZZAH!!!  I'm so glad it was a relatively easy fix, and not an engine issue!  I'm a bit shocked at the $300 sticker for hoses and thermostat, though!  You might want to call your usual mechanic and ask about that.  They might have just been trying to pad your bill... a LOT!  And if you actually DO need all new hoses (which seems unlikely, because they don't all get the same amount of wear at the same time) you might just have one replaced a month, instead of doing them all at the same time, so it's not that big a chunk of change. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

raevyncait

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on April 17, 2012, 09:00:57 PM
Oh, HUZZAH!!!  I'm so glad it was a relatively easy fix, and not an engine issue!  I'm a bit shocked at the $300 sticker for hoses and thermostat, though!  You might want to call your usual mechanic and ask about that.  They might have just been trying to pad your bill... a LOT!  And if you actually DO need all new hoses (which seems unlikely, because they don't all get the same amount of wear at the same time) you might just have one replaced a month, instead of doing them all at the same time, so it's not that big a chunk of change. 

Well, it's Firestone, not my first choice, but the only thing open when I broke down. If it had happened when I was still in Granbury (where I work), I would have taken it to one of the two shops the company uses, one of them, or the shadetree guy who did my brakes on my other car last year will do it for less, I'm sure, AND I'll be able to drop it off in the morning & get it back the same day.

My favorite, most awesome mechanic is an hour's drive away, and no longer open on Saturdays. He was awesome, he worked on my cars for more than 10 years, and more than once allowed me to pay out major repairs, even if it took me over a year, paying an extra $10 or so when I had the oil changed or whatever. That's what I miss most about being in Arlington....
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Baron Frederick

Raevyncait,so glad it turned out to be something not super serious
Baron Frederick

raevyncait

Thanks again ya'll. I've got a new thermostat, and a friend who is going to install it for me, hopefully this afternoon before I go home. Next will be replacing my air filter (as I'm SURE it's time, given the fact that from August through a couple of weeks ago I was on a relatively dusty jobsite daily, plus 2 weekends of Scarby parking lot dust) and my fuel filter. My friend looked at the hoses and has declared them in fine condition in that they aren't starting to rot or get stiff, so I'll probably just do those one or two at a time starting next month.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist