News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A Pirate themed resort with you at the helm

Started by Obadiah Jib, July 18, 2008, 11:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obadiah Jib

Okay here is a new fantasy topic/ game.  This is not real in any way, shape or form.  I made this up.  I have a boring job and to keep my mind active I do imagination games.

Imagine that Pat Croce (of Pirate Soul: http://www.piratesoul.com) found out that you are a huge fan of piracy and pirate lore and he wanted you to help him create a new Pirate Themed Resort!  Think of this as a Sandals or Beaches but with a Pirate Theme!  Pat has purchased a small island about 3 hours by boat from Key West.  On the island he has built a small town that looks much like an abandoned Spanish colony circa 1660 complete with shops, taverns, and period dwellings.  Twice a day he has a tall ship dock in Key West and shuttle passengers and supplies out to the island resort.  People can go for the day or stay over night at various beach front cabanas.  The resort offers swim up bars, skin diving, period music, and pirate themed food.  Or does it?

Your job as director of the project is to name the resort/ location (Port whatever, such n' such Cove), describe what it looks like (you are the visual genius behind the project), and complete the resort with amenities that make if different from all the rest!

Will your resort have an age requirement (are the kids allowed)?  Do the guest dress as pirates too or just staff (remember this is your baby so if you want everyone in garb it happens- you can even decided what happens if someone doesn't want to dress like a pirate [fine!])?  Do you have wandering duels that break out?  Black powder weapon events and classes?  Do you have period crafters who are in the village {a special spot for MacGregor games}?  How about entertainment?  Do you rotate performers?  Jimmy Buffet in concert?  What sort of activities do you have (golf, water skiing, or keep it period)?  What is on the menu?  Do you eat buffet style with bonfire grilled treats or is it a sit down affair.

Use your imagination.  Go nuts!  Post your ideas!

Oh and Pat, if you are out there and like this concept, feel free to give ol' Jib a call.
First Mate of the Portobello Rose.
I'm not the captain, I just dress better than he does.

Obadiah Jib

No interest?  Am I loosing my touch to spark creativity? ???

renren

How did I miss this??

Well, there'd have to be plunty of rum drinks, maybe a pirate ship to tour,or take a cruise on...
A "dress like a pirate " contest...

How's that for starters?
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Rage

Quote from: Obadiah Jib on July 21, 2008, 11:09:44 PM
No interest?  Am I loosing my touch to spark creativity? ???

Thinking about ideas, just busy right now.

Obadiah Jib

Imagination is the limit!  If you want a shipwreck in the harbor that acts like a giant water park it can happen!  A paint ball area, done!  The Dregs nightly, consider them booked!

renren

Quote from: Obadiah Jib on July 23, 2008, 10:47:47 PM
Imagination is the limit!  If you want a shipwreck in the harbor that acts like a giant water park it can happen!  A paint ball area, done!  The Dregs nightly, consider them booked!
Oh, yeah!
And shirtless, muscly waiters!
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Obadiah Jib

Done!  They all have the body of Adonis!

And what else????

AnyuBoo

Hmm, I'd have the place divided into two separate areas.  One would be more of a theme-park resort (pirate-themed rides and the like)...more for the kids and the fainter-of-heart.  The other half would at least look much more like an authentic pirate-era town (but with proper loos hidden within the buildings).  And in both places, dressing like a pirate wouldn't be mandatory, but those who do, would get a discount.
Sort of like at Faire, the authentic side would have pirate fights and other sketches during various parts of the day.

I've got a whole bunch of ideas, but they're all swirling around in my head and refuse to file out in an orderly fashion.   :D
When everything seems to be coming your way...
...you're in the wrong lane!

CelticOne

I'd make the stages for various acts be based upon various styles of ship, for example a stage built like a Chinese Junk, to represent piracy in all its aspects not just the golden age.
The mind is like a parachute, its best when open.

Obadiah Jib

Excellent.

What sort of food would it serve?

dragongirl

I would set my resort up in "countries of origin".  With each area focusing on their "golden Age" of piracy, including a "cyberland" for the younger generation.  All the areas look, performers, rides, shops, and living history museams would focus on their "countries of origin".  The cusine in each are would be a blend of Authentic/tradional faire from that age and more modern ethnic food for that region.  Cyberland is where you would find more family friendly faire such as hamburgers, pizza, ect....  That is also where the contemporary/pop acts would perform.  While the entire resort will be family friendly during "normal business hours" 9 am-8pm.  Only Cyberland will allow patrons under age 21 after 8pm.  During the day in all parts of the resort it will be garb optional but encouraged.  However, after 11:00pm the only place you can access without garb will be Cyberland.   
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood