News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Masquerade Ball - What are you wearing?

Started by Tink, August 31, 2014, 01:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tink

The hubby and I were gifted with tickets to the Masquerade Ball, and though I am super excited, I am also super stressed.  I have absolutely nothing to wear, and don't want to pay $1,000+ dollars for an appropriate dress!  (I'd definitely wear the dress, I just can't pay that much for it.)  So, what are you guys wearing, and are you making or buying your ensemble?
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

Lord Virgo

XTREEM HORN LORD
THE WRONG ONE CAMP
SHAME THY SELF
TIS FOLLY

Zardoz

Their somewhat vague and not prominent dress code says fantasy to formal, with mask. So you are probably going to see everything you see at faire, from fancy garb to tshirt wearing mundanes
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

ravic

Zardoz

Quote from: ravic on September 12, 2014, 08:33:33 AM
AKA refugees from "Let's Make A Deal"?

;D  more than likely!   There's a lot of cognative dissonance in play here. they think if they set up a fancy tent and charge too much to get in, that it'll be like one of the established masque balls in New Orleans or LA.  I mean no disrespect to the people that are working hard on this, but from the attendee point of view it's more than likely gonna play like a tarted up kings feast. 
IBRSC# 1619,

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: Zardoz on September 12, 2014, 10:21:14 AM

;D  more than likely!   There's a lot of cognative dissonance in play here. they think if they set up a fancy tent and charge too much to get in, that it'll be like one of the established masque balls in New Orleans or LA.  I mean no disrespect to the people that are working hard on this, but from the attendee point of view it's more than likely gonna play like a tarted up kings feast.

Shhhh Zardoz...someone might hang a "Wanted" poster for you at the gate...
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Terre Albert

No "Wanted Sign" issued for opinions.  Just listen to people who attend and see if they think it's like the King's Feast.  So the Question was: What are you wearing to the mask ball?

Zardoz

If I was going, or could afford to go, I'd dress in an appropriate manner for 'ball' level events, which for me is black-tie. But I have the feeling I'd be a bit overdressed at this deal.
IBRSC# 1619,

Zardoz

Quote from: Laird Fraser of Lovatt on September 12, 2014, 02:16:35 PM
Quote from: Zardoz on September 12, 2014, 10:21:14 AM

Shhhh Zardoz...someone might hang a "Wanted" poster for you at the gate...

LOL, that would be a fun weekend
IBRSC# 1619,

Tink

I know it's not at all formal (or even close) but I have a (non HA, I know) Irish Dress.  Would that be appropriate enough to not stick out like a sore thumb?  (with a mask, of course)

LadyJessica

I'm probably going to be a steam-punk-ish corset tutu dress...with a mask...
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP
Director of Social Tourture for the Empire
Gneaitheas Gnomie (DG#290)

BarbarianQueen

This is a good Question!
I was under the impression that this was a TRF version of the Labrynth of Jareth Ball in California.  At that ball, the dress is almost 100% fantasy.

Here is a google search of photos from that event -
https://www.google.com/search?q=labyrinth+of+jareth+masquerade+ball+2014&biw=1057&bih=861&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=keEUVLwqw5jIBJHfgrgJ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAw#imgdii=_

If its just a "formal" masquerade ball, with people in suits and dresses and masks, I'm a lot less interested suddenly.  The photos from the Cali look so interesting, and so much fun!

Tink

From what I've been hearing, I think it IS supposed to be like the Jareth one. 

I'm just wondering if I can get away with wearing garb + mask since I don't have the time or $$$ to come up with a suitable fantasy dress.  :-\  I'm super excited to see what others come up with, though!!!   :D

ravic

Maybe if TRF could actually issue some guidelines instead of being so mysterious & "it'll be a surprise".

Terre Albert

We had a contest on facebook and people sent in what they are wearing.  A lot like Labyrinth of Jareth Ball in California.  I've been and you see black Tie, Fantasy, Renaissance and super creative.  We want people to be creative so we are leaving it mysterious.  I don't think we want to tell you the is what you have to wear, what fun would that be?