News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

what to do when its raining?

Started by emkjbluemel, October 29, 2015, 09:16:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emkjbluemel

All Hallows Eve is our favorite time to enjoy the festivities of Ren Fest, but its going to rain all that weekend looks like.... Don't want to reschedule our trip, but entice me with what we can do if it is raining!

KiltedPrivateer

Plan accordingly. Water proof your tent. If it's a nylon tent (most likely), pick up some camp dry spray and soak your rain fly and tent sides. Bring mats to place outside the tent to wipe the feet on. Also, mats on the inside are helpful too. If you have tarps, bring them. Pick up, or make, some tarp poles. You can throw an extra layer of protection over your tent and/or create a porch where you can get out of your wet foot wear.

Keep everything away from the walls of the tent. Nylon will leak onto anything that lays up against the walls.

Bring an ez-up style canopy to shelter under when not sheltering in the tent. Keep in mind that some of these canopies will pool water on the roof which if not caught in time, will break the roof. To prevent this, I've tie-wrapped poles, such as upside down brooms, to the rafters with the end of the pole pushing the roof out to make it tight all the way around.

Bring your weather proof garb. Be sure to weather proof your leather, especially your leather foot wear.

When you get to the camp ground, eye out the high ground. Avoid camping anywhere near the stream bed. The grassy areas are preferred to avoid mud.
Member of Clan Procrastination
Crew of the Procrastinator
Lover of Lady Kitara

scarletnyx

Captain covered outside of faire, heres my take on inside!

Inside faire when its raining is magical. There's only a few places that seem to pool bad ( by the large swings, a few shop entrances ) but overall there is great drainage on the grounds. The trees help to soften the blow of rain, not take it away just soften it. My husband and I like to walk as far as we can, duck inside a shop/under a covering, and simply watch people. Shop owners are plenty understanding if you need to duck in.

If you have a umbrella, bring it. Its not gonna break any sort of immersion, and plenty of people have them.

Also, sunday is looking pretty clear. Husband and I plan to stay longer Sunday to make up for the rainy start on Saturday.

Also keep in mind this is Texas weather. It could not rain a drop and I would not be surprised.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

PollyPoPo

Yep, Captain pretty much covered rainy campgrounds (of course, at Sherwood, this same Captain put up a huge tarp between trees high enough that we had a raised fire pit on top of the ship deck, with room around it for maybe 10-12 people, attracting many passersby on a cold rainy night  :)  Kept the rum and loki bottles dry, too). 

Scarletnyx had some good ideas for in faire.

I would add plan to dance in the rain, literally.  Back in the days when I didn't need a walking stick, I did some dancing in the rain myself, in the streets, or wherever.  It's not often grownups can stomp in mud puddles and not many people stop to stare. 

Have extra shoes and warm socks to change into when you get back to camp (or the car if you are leaving). 

If you're a big guy, pick up a lady or skinny fop with whom you are not acquainted and carry them across the concrete stream (my son did that many years ago when it was a real stream).

Save your fancy dress for another time; the rain is the time for cotton and sandals or wool and old leathertops if it's cool.  Layer stuff.  A long sleeve shirt in the morning becomes a waist tie when the sun comes out.  A lightweight cotton cape with hood will protect from the biting wind a little while not adding too much weight. 

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)