News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Hoist the colors!

Started by Obadiah Jib, October 07, 2008, 10:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obadiah Jib

So what is your favorite pirate flag look like?  Do you go with a traditional Rackham or something of your own design?
First Mate of the Portobello Rose.
I'm not the captain, I just dress better than he does.

Captain Jack Wolfe

The flag of Mad Jack Wolfe and El Lobo del Mar

©2006 Bright Wolfe Enterprises

Designed it myself almost 2 years ago.
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

dragongirl

This is the flag my Captian had designed for our ship.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Obadiah Jib

That is great that you both designed your own flags!

Angelhood

This isn't the best picture to feature the design....but it's the only one I can find just now. This is the Roger for The Highland Rogues. My son took a turn at standard bearing when we visited CORF last year. The Captain designed it, I sewed it.

Captain Kilian

I need to have a flag made to match my avatar
"I'd like to thank all the little people...that just never saw it coming." - Me
Royal Order of the Landshark, Guppy 14

Obadiah Jib

Gibbet Jones

No cage for the bones of Gibbet Jones!
- links not allowed in signatures -  Admin

Lord Figaro

I never even though about doing one. I'm just not that creative I guess.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

Elinor Hakebourne

I love all the flags! Now, if we could just get a little backstory on all these symbols! I'd be quite interested to know why certain symbols were chosen :) (Skull and crossbones excepted, of course ;))

Captain Jack Wolfe

The symbolism on mine is pretty straightforward.  The rampant wolf is from the Wolfe family crest (scrappy lot that they were).  The crossed swords speak to our readiness to engage an enemy in battle.  The skeleton and winged hourglass work together to send prey the message "death awaits you if you don't surrender, and your time left is flying".

It's all about intimidation.  Plundering a ship is much easier when they heave to and stay out of your way.   ;) ;D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Elinor Hakebourne

Quote from: Mad Jack Wolfe on October 29, 2008, 03:51:14 PM
The symbolism on mine is pretty straightforward.  The rampant wolf is from the Wolfe family crest (scrappy lot that they were).  The crossed swords speak to our readiness to engage an enemy in battle.  The skeleton and winged hourglass work together to send prey the message "death awaits you if you don't surrender, and your time left is flying".

It's all about intimidation.   ;) ;D

Oh, neat! :) Thanks for the explanation, Mad Jack! I always like symbolism...that's why I found the Maypole Dance--and the villager's offerings symbolizing good health and happiness for all that had gathered there that festival day--so enchanting my first year at Sterling! :)

Captain Jack Wolfe

And now you know what flying over our heads in "Dead Man's Tavern" (and "El Lobo del Mar")!

Welsh Wench

Quote from: Mad Jack Wolfe on October 29, 2008, 03:57:32 PM
And now you know what flying over our heads in "Dead Man's Tavern" (and "El Lobo del Mar")!

Ha! Don't let him fool you--it's a thong!  ;)
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Captain Jack Wolfe

Quote from: Welsh Wench on October 29, 2008, 04:32:31 PM
Quote from: Mad Jack Wolfe on October 29, 2008, 03:57:32 PM

Ha! Don't let him fool you--it's a thong!  ;)
Drying your laundry from the rigging again, darling? ;D