News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Hoops - a different question

Started by mehan, July 24, 2009, 05:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mehan

I have always bought my hoops (xl 5 bone) off e-bay and consider them a "consumable" item - buying a new set every year.  Yes I know they can be washed and the wires taken out - but lets face it - I play hard the hoops get misshapen - and at 25 bucks a pop - I was willing just to buy a new set each year.

Then several things happened - I became more green/cost conscious, I lost 65 pounds and bought just the regular sized hoops.   Now the top hoop and my hips are exactly the same size.  It looks silly because it goes straight down to my pelvis then widens.  I don't have the gradual belling that I like.  OK fine, I'll just go back to the XL....... now I can't find the xl  at all.  (what they call XL now is extra wide at the bottom, but the top hoop is still my hip width)

I have even gone back and bought two more pair, thinking perhaps it was just one off sized pair - nope. (one of my skinnier friends is getting some free hoops)  ;D.

Anyone have any ideas?  If I am going to have to go the custom route - suggestions on vendors/semstresses would be very appreciated.

LaurenLee

The only suggestion I have is to alter the hoops and make them smaller, so that the increase is more gradual.  I have always readjusted the hoops I buy (mainly for Civil War) because I am short, and have to hem up past the bottom hoop usually.  If you can't make the top hoop larger, then just make all the other ones smaller in the correct graduated circumference that suits your body shape.

FortuneRose

Heather, www.verymerryseamstress.com, does custom hoopskirts.  I have several items from her and love the customer service, quality of the work, the variety she offers, etc.  Its going to be more pricey than what you are used to, but they will be FAR better quality that can hold up for much longer to hard play and you can have it as customized as you want/need.
LLVW

mehan

Thanks everyone for their help, comments and PMs.  I went back to my original vendor and the hoops I got from them were a great fit.   On the up side, I can't tell you how many PMs I got telling me of the great work some of our local RF'ers do.  Lady Kathleen of Olmstead must be just shy of a saint, she is so greatly loved by the folks here on the board.  We are a great community of folk, and I just love the comradarie shared between us all.  So, I am now back in hoops, but now am considering what I can order from Lady Kathleen to go over them. 

Celtic_Fae

Mehan, Lady Kathleen does excellent work! She's posting my gown's progress photos in the Sewing section at this time. Who is your original hoopskirt vendor? I have a similar problem to yours which goes one step further: because the top hoop and my hips are close to/exactly the same size, that hoop keep popping open ever time I move even slightly? Any ideas on how to get around this? Would it be fashionably possible to just do away with that first hoop, seeing as it's not doing it's job anyway? Sorry to thread-jack, but this comes very close to my own problem to the point where it made sense to piggyback.

mehan

i will let the more sewing-saavy answer your question about removing the hoop.  I didn't like that option because that the first hoop was way below my hips and thus my "bell curve" started at the top of my thigh and it just looked weird.   As far as my vendor I used   "hoop-slips" vendor on e-bay, 5 -bone xl hoop.  They are no longer offering the XL hoop on ebay, but a call to Sweatheart slips (who do not sell retail) sent me to Bridal Petticoats the non-ebay company of hoop-slips.  From there  I was able to order the 5 bone XL hoop.  (e-bay, 30-35 dollars, retail, 53) - however, it is what I wanted and worth the few extra dollars.  For me, this is a good answer.  I am hard on my undergarments, and do not have the patience to remove hoops and wash.  Thus  I look at this as a "consumable" item, a lesser quality, less expensive item is for me. 

For the rest of you responsible adults, who will take care of a quality item, please patronize our local RF'ers who do custom work.  Kathyrn, if you are going to the time and expense of getting a Lady Kathleen - I would let her make a custom hoop too.  Certainly order a cheap hoop for those days  you are going non-noble or on a day you KNOW it is going to rain - but for the good garb, go good undergarments.

Celtic_Fae

Quote from: mehan on July 29, 2009, 07:30:08 PM
i will let the more sewing-saavy answer your question about removing the hoop.  I didn't like that option because that the first hoop was way below my hips and thus my "bell curve" started at the top of my thigh and it just looked weird.   As far as my vendor I used   "hoop-slips" vendor on e-bay, 5 -bone xl hoop.  They are no longer offering the XL hoop on ebay, but a call to Sweatheart slips (who do not sell retail) sent me to Bridal Petticoats the non-ebay company of hoop-slips.  From there  I was able to order the 5 bone XL hoop.  (e-bay, 30-35 dollars, retail, 53) - however, it is what I wanted and worth the few extra dollars.  For me, this is a good answer.  I am hard on my undergarments, and do not have the patience to remove hoops and wash.  Thus  I look at this as a "consumable" item, a lesser quality, less expensive item is for me. 

For the rest of you responsible adults, who will take care of a quality item, please patronize our local RF'ers who do custom work.  Kathyrn, if you are going to the time and expense of getting a Lady Kathleen - I would let her make a custom hoop too.  Certainly order a cheap hoop for those days  you are going non-noble or on a day you KNOW it is going to rain - but for the good garb, go good undergarments.

I'm sorry...responsible? You wouldn't be talking to *me* would you now?  :o ;) LOL!