News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Has the popularity of Pirates passed?

Started by Obadiah Jib, July 30, 2009, 12:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaze

My informant is a Disney insider too, but your's has much more detailed info.  Thanks for the update.  :)

Captain Jack Wolfe

No worries!  I just want them to make the movie sooner than later!  ;D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Blackbead

When was the "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride first installed at Disneyland?

1967 and it is still one of the most popular rides at the Parks!

Pirates will always be popular, though there was a huge spike in the last few years.  I was a Civil War reenactor when "Glory"/"Gettysburg" came out and we survived that craze, too.

Blackbead
"It's not the gold that sets our sails, 'tis freedom and the promise of a better life that raises our black flags."

Charlotte Rowan

Yeah, let's face it - pirate are jsut *cool.* I think there'll always be a good number of us scurvy types out at Faires. There may be fewer Depp impersonators, but pirates will always be around!
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

Blackjack Roberts

Pirates passe??

Nay, mate. There may well be fewer posers, but there will always be pirates.

Ye gods though, if the "in the works" Highwayman movie gains popularity though, I'm certain there will be a sudden influx of highwayman imitators to take their place. ::)

Sheeesh!!!

Welsh Wench

Yeah, but we know who the original Highwayman is, don't we? ;)

While pirates were given a gigantic boost in popularity due to POTC, and Jack Sparrow, enough is enough with the Sparrows at faire.
It was cute the first year or two....now it is time to hang it up and survive on your OWN originality.
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Seamus Ex Machina

What she said...pirates will always be cool.   And at BARF, pirates have never been cooler...There are plenty of pirate fests,  smaller faires all year long, and of course Gasparilla!!  Pirates have been a part of the scene in Florida for years, long before POTC, not that it hurt one bit.  Harrrr!  Can't have enough frock coats for all occasions...

Although as the only one among us that can actually pass as a movie pirate...and I mean Cap'n Ron...C'mon Monk....you're hurtin' me emotionally here, man.... ;D
Legendary Hellraiser

Welsh Wench

Oh, Seamus, Seamus--you forgot one very important thing as far as this Florida wench is concerned--

The attraction of a really great pair of boots. Now you take a great frock coat, a cavalier hat (not really a fan of tricorns) and add a great swagger--and I am pirate putty!

Besides, you and Mickey are my favorite BARF pirates.
You are the finest BARF has to offer.

Although Captain Blake did cause a seven-wench pile-up once....I guess I forgot to use my wench brakelights.  ;)

Seamus Ex Machina

Wenchie......you flatter me....it works... ;D

Besides,  you know you be my all timey favorite Wench...You're always there with a quick smile, a kind word, lovely boots....and lipstick whenever i need it...

Wait, what......

Legendary Hellraiser

Welsh Wench

*rummage in pouch*
No..I think I put it in my bodi--ooh, there it is! Nice and warm and melty, too.

*looks up*
Um....OK. See, I know with your skin tones, you need a cool rose colour...

Esc always did call me the fou-fou girl.

Well, what other wench would take you on long, philosophical walks all the while supporting  you.... :D

Seamus Ex Machina

Ah, good then.....we're off to the wenching!!  And mebbe a quick stop at the petting zoo...

*OK, maybe this is more DeNiro than Kurt Russel ......*
Legendary Hellraiser

Welsh Wench

Don't make me post that picture of that goat again..... ::)

Seamus Ex Machina

I was hoping for a cute little sheep.......LOL

BREAK!!!   We now return this thread to the subject at hand!!

"nothing to see here.....move along...."
Legendary Hellraiser

Captain Jack Wolfe

You're a b-a-a-a-a-a-a-d man, Seamus!  ::) :D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Welsh Wench

OK back on target--

I guess pirates may be more passe in a land-locked faire...but we have a plethora of pirates and pirate festivals.

The crowded bar at the last festival certainly proved that pirates are alive and kicking in the coastal communities of the Gulf Coast.

And the occasional mudslide.... ;)