News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Has the popularity of Pirates passed?

Started by Obadiah Jib, July 30, 2009, 12:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Jack Wolfe

Quote from: Seamus Ex Machina on August 02, 2009, 09:11:03 PM
"Lamb Chop...Uncut..."

Now Shari Lewis will know what all the mint sauce was for...  :o
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Seamus Ex Machina

Right!!  And to think they only showed that bloody map a dozen times an episode... ::)

And I think I would love anything with tater tots..
Legendary Hellraiser

Welsh Wench

The definition of MUTTON--

"Marvos, I don't know what to do! I never wanted this position! I just wanted adventure and romance! I'm not equipped for this. Do you know what can happen? The crew could do mutton on me!"
"MUTTON?"
"Yes! That is when they look at you funny and make you walk on that board or set you out on a boat and say au revoir!"
"Mutiny."
"What?"
"You meant mutiny."
"Well...whatever! They make you Governer of your own Island. Although I suppose in my case it would be Governess, except there are no children to tend to---"
"Wench?"
"Yes?"
"You never make sense when you are excited."
"WHAT-EVER! Then they give you a gun with only one bullet. And I don't know how to load a gun! Maybe they would give me a sword--"
"Wench?"
"Yes?"
"Shut up. No one is going to 'mutton' you!" Marvos laughed.
"Fine! Go ahead and laugh but when I am waving farewell to you from a deserted island, at least you can say, 'Hey, she was mutton after all!' "

~~Dead Man's Tavern
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Rani Zemirah

Now isn't that a fine stew!!!  ROFL

I've had a thing for pirates since I first watched Captain Blood as a little girl!  

Oh, almost forgot!  Here's a nifty lil' pirate site for movie buffs!
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Welsh Wench

As long as there are women who adore them, there will always be pirates.

Although Seamus knows that if they get in the way of my chicken-bone basket-ball, I WILL take no prisoners......  ;D

Two out of three wasn't bad. And I get half-point for the one that was found under the dishwasher.  ;)

Captain Jack Wolfe

Quote from: Welsh Wench on August 03, 2009, 07:56:13 AM

And people wonder why I don't consider being anything but a pirate?  ;D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Blackjack Roberts

Quote from: Mad Jack Wolfe on August 03, 2009, 08:31:47 AM
Quote from: Welsh Wench on August 03, 2009, 07:56:13 AM

And people wonder why I don't consider being anything but a pirate?  ;D

And here I thought it was just because of years of historical research into the lifestyle.  ;D

Welsh Wench

It's the researching of the pirates that is SO much fun!  ;)

Seamus, save me a spot next to you at Gasparilla!
I'm serious. I'll drive over to your house.

Captain Jack Wolfe

Quote from: Welsh Wench on August 03, 2009, 11:51:00 AM
It's the researching of the pirates that is SO much fun!  ;)

I'm all about the research!  The appreciation is nice, too.  ;) :D

Welsh Wench

I prefer hands-on learning as opposed to book-learning.

Captain Jack Wolfe

No better way to get a feel for the subject matter...

Anna Iram

I have to say, I'm getting a giggle out of a bunch of pirates worrying that their era might be coming to a close. True pirates and their biker counterparts just ride on and The Devil may care.   :)

Molden

WOT?!?!? Worry?

.....lemme see....*flips open a copy of Webster's dictionary...pages through it .... no matter that it be upsyde down...

and bass-akwards...mutters t' self*

worry...worrry...hmmmm...worrry -

no' findin' it 'ere mates!
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

Captain Kilian

Late arriving to this conversation....I blame the navigator!

Anyway, this has been a double edged sword for me for a while - since the first POTC. Been a pirate since we could piece together the garb - so 2nd year we'd gone to faire. With the recent movies there have been a gaggle of Capt' Sparrow's (some better then others) and well, it did feel a bit old after awhile. Great to see folk join our pyratical ranks, but it seemed to be totally opposite of what 'being' a pirate was about (a.k.a. a rebel, who not only marches to the beat of a different drum, but beat the drummer, said screw marching, and took to the proverbial sea! Not fad chasers.).

That said, it sure has been easier finding a nice hat, and other garb, as of late! Lots of it is even very creative, and working on the generic pirate theme, vs. Movie knock offs. I love seeing a new pirate shop at fair and looking at their loot! So from a shopping aspect, I hope the fad never fades too far - as I love new trinkets!
"I'd like to thank all the little people...that just never saw it coming." - Me
Royal Order of the Landshark, Guppy 14

Molden

*scratches noggin' ... shakes 'is head a bit ... squints at volume he's holding ... holds at arms distance ... squints agin ...*

Ahhhh! 'ere be th' bloody connundrumadum-dum! 's upside down AN' bass-ackwards!!!

*tosses dictionary over 'is shoulder an staggers off in search o' rum*

...wan't e'en worried enuf t' figir ou' wot worry meant t' begin w'!
                                      Whar be tha' GOOSE?!?
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable