News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Whats your BEST ground score?

Started by TwiLight, January 04, 2010, 12:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TwiLight

All my friends always get awsome ground scores daggers garb money and yet all i ever find is trinkets. What have u found?
I'm confuzled.

Zaubon

I have turned a number of things in to lost and found. Everything from gauntlets to phones to cameras. Just because someone has taken their eyes off their property for a few moments does not mean that it belongs to me.

Zaubon

Anna Iram

Well said Zaubon. :)  

Noble Dreg

Seems the lost and found at MNRF is one of my regular stops!  Last year I found one of those fancy white carved pipes and a studded guantlet.

I like finding those little jingly bangles that fall from some belly-dancers/gypsy's garb.  I hold them in my hand, close my eyes, and try to picture the lovely lady who lost such an adornment.  It is my goal to return each to their special place/owner!   ;D
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Rapier Half-Wit

Why does the phrase "ground score" always offend me? Probably due to the loss of those personal items that vaporised when I took a moment to scratch or adjust my garb or get another beer.
If her eyes aren't sparkling, you didn't do it right...

Betty Munro

Quote from: Noble Dreg on January 04, 2010, 05:08:00 PM
Seems the lost and found at MNRF is one of my regular stops!  Last year I found one of those fancy white carved pipes and a studded guantlet.

I like finding those little jingly bangles that fall from some belly-dancers/gypsy's garb.  I hold them in my hand, close my eyes, and try to picture the lovely lady who lost such an adornment.  It is my goal to return each to their special place/owner!   ;D

Note to self ... purchase a bag of a hundred jingly bangles and leave a trail ...
now, back to topic ...
My FIRST time in garb at fair I dropped my pouch - cash, car keys, id, visa, (and most importantly my gum for fresh breath the rest of the day).  I tried to retrace my steps, but no luck.  My friend explained "ground score" and wasn't very hopeful.  Zaubon must have been there that day as my pouch was already at lost and found.  Cash intact - not so much missing as a single peice of bubble gum.  The attendant remarked that a fellow playtron had turned it in.
Any ground score with a value over a few bucks should be turned in.

Sitara

I tend to turn in things of value and keep what would be considered trash.  Hanging about in the pub we have various pieces of broken jewelry and coin doodads, ribbons, etc.

My favorite groundscore however, will always be my cat.  T'was the week after faire ended and the "recovery party"*   was winding down as it was 2am and raining.  I am getting in my van to enjoy my slumbers when a soaked creature jumps in right in front of me.  Aaaawwww!  It's a sweet little kittie!  He's awfully skinny and it is now pouring rain.  Mr. Kittenface sleeps with George and I, suckling on my shirt all the while.  Come morning, we get out to do our business and the kitty jumps out and follows suit, under the van for privacy's sake...he must be shy.  When I get back into the van, the kitten follows me.  We drove into the campground and asked around...nobody knew who this little guy belonged to.  We decided to bring him home with us and fatten him up.  He now weighs 3 times as much as he did then and is a happy housecat.  We named him Ren Cat McGroundscore...we call him RC

*This is where all the pub workers get together to feast and drink any and all leftover beer from the season.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

DeadBishop

I turned in a wallet, a camera, 4 cell phones, and someone's insulin kit to the lost and found this year at faire.  Think about being the "loser" of said items.  I've been on that side and never got my items returned.  A leather scabbard that only fits a custom blade I have...why would anyone keep that?  For instance, having a lost cell phone returned could mean the difference between calling for help and being stranded somewhere if you never get it back.  It could also have been disastrous; had I lost something of importance like the insulin kit and not been able to retrieve it, it could have endangered my well being.

Karma.  Stay on it's good side.

R/F.com member since 2003

GirlChris

My very first year of working at a faire, I found a dagger with an antler handle. I turned it in to lost and found.

The next week, I bought a tiny pewter dragon egg that opened up and had a baby dragon inside. Considering I was making only $20 a weekend (I was babysitting, not working for the faire) this was EXPENSIVE. I never found it.

I got in trouble for "finders keepers" when I was a kid. Just because someone dropped something doesn't mean they willingly gave up ownership.

Blue66669

I keep random things that I find sometimes. For instance, I found a fancy feathered hatpin right outside of one of the campsites that I frequent. I asked about 6 of the neighboring camps if this belonged to anyone there. I went back in the morning and swept the area again. No claimers. So it's here, on my wall. I don't even own a hat LOL.

I lost my favorite Tiffany charm at camp this year at the Celtic Rogues camp. I was drumming and dancing all night. I know that there's no way in hell that I'll ever get that back. It's a big campground, and no real lost and found there. Damn shame, but crap happens.
Blaidd Drwg

will paisley

Quote from: Betty Munro on January 04, 2010, 07:19:26 PM

My FIRST time in garb at fair I dropped my pouch - cash, car keys, id, visa, (and most importantly my gum for fresh breath the rest of the day).  I tried to retrace my steps, but no luck.  My friend explained "ground score" and wasn't very hopeful. 

That's pretty much what happened to my first R/F pin.  I went to lost and found, and when I described what I lost, I was told that people tend to "hang on" to pewter pins.  Odds are that some day tripper picked it up without having any idea whatsoever what it represented, and now it's on a random dresser collecting dust.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

Blue66669

That's why, for the most part, I don't wear sentimental things on my garb. I lost a LOT of favors last year as I worked in my shop. Caught on counters, dropped during parade, crushed and broken during breaks... Sucks, so I leave my favors at home. I wear them when I'm going someplace where I may get more favors, then squirrel them away LOL.
Blaidd Drwg

Muffin

Quote from: Sitara on January 05, 2010, 12:08:56 AM
I tend to turn in things of value and keep what would be considered trash.  Hanging about in the pub we have various pieces of broken jewelry and coin doodads, ribbons, etc.

My favorite groundscore however, will always be my cat.  T'was the week after faire ended and the "recovery party"*   was winding down as it was 2am and raining.  I am getting in my van to enjoy my slumbers when a soaked creature jumps in right in front of me.  Aaaawwww!  It's a sweet little kittie!  He's awfully skinny and it is now pouring rain.  Mr. Kittenface sleeps with George and I, suckling on my shirt all the while.  Come morning, we get out to do our business and the kitty jumps out and follows suit, under the van for privacy's sake...he must be shy.  When I get back into the van, the kitten follows me.  We drove into the campground and asked around...nobody knew who this little guy belonged to.  We decided to bring him home with us and fatten him up.  He now weighs 3 times as much as he did then and is a happy housecat.  We named him Ren Cat McGroundscore...we call him RC

*This is where all the pub workers get together to feast and drink any and all leftover beer from the season.

Awww I love RC!! I even got to hold him a little that night!! Such a cutie!!

I think my favorite groundscore would be Capt. Bacardi.. Hey, I found him at the faire, outside me pub.. That counts right?  ;)
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

Captain Jack Wolfe

And if it was late enough in the day (after 10:00 AM), he was probably on the ground...  ;) :D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Blue66669

Blaidd Drwg