News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

corded petticoat?

Started by peggyelizabeth, May 29, 2008, 10:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Amy of York

I have a question.   The pictures of the corded petticoats look great.  What is  the difference between a corded petticoat  and  a hoop skirt ?    I have  a hoop skirt from sophi stitches that i use, but I just got a new   velvet court gown, and would love to wear something lighter weight under neath the gown, and  easier to go to the um...bathroom  in.
   So i was wondering if a corded petticoat would  do the  trick ? Thanks !
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Marietta Graziella

Peggy Elizabeth, where's the dress diary?! :D

I need to make one of these skirts since some of my gowns are becoming a bit more posh.  Right now I totally cheat the whole deal by sliding metal hooping into the extra seam allowance channels on my purchased chemise!  *gasp!*   It's the easy way out, but I get just a bit of fullness at the bottom of my skirts, keep the fabric off my legs and get a little "R.A.C." going.  ;)
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

peggyelizabeth

I have a mini diary going on Live Journal, but I'm planning on going back to create the steps I used and which websites helped the most in the process soon. I just really wanted to get it done. I'll let you know when I post something real.

silverstah

Quote from: lady amy of york on June 07, 2008, 11:56:52 PM
I have a question.   The pictures of the corded petticoats look great.  What is  the difference between a corded petticoat  and  a hoop skirt ?    I have  a hoop skirt from sophi stitches that i use, but I just got a new   velvet court gown, and would love to wear something lighter weight under neath the gown, and  easier to go to the um...bathroom  in.
   So i was wondering if a corded petticoat would  do the  trick ? Thanks !

A corded petticoat is going to give you a little bit of "oomph" to your skirts, but it isn't going to give you a specific shape.  It's best for lower/middle class outfits, or later period German and Italian outfits.

English, French and Spanish middle - upper class women consistently show gowns with very definite shapes to their skirts, indicating a boned farthinggale. 

What type of gown is your new one? :)
Catarina Caravello - Mistress of the Bobbins
\"Arrrgh.  Feed Dogs.  Arrrgh.\"  -The Pirate, sewing

Lady Amy of York

Velvet bodice with embroidery reversible fore panel , bodice is boned. done in ahunter green velvet on one side, and a green and gold brocade on the other.
also has grommets on it.

Detachable velvet flounce sleeves lined in brocade

Velvet skirt with a brocade fore panel. velvet is a heavy hunter green green color velvet. brocade is in green/gold.

so i was thinking i would probably need to wear my hoop. but here is my promblem.   i  fractued my wrist  and  injured my achilles tendon, so  i am limping around with a cane.  so their goes using a big hoop.

so i was thinking of justwearing a couple of my peasnt skirts unerneath for fullness.  Does anyone think this would give a  heavy velvet gown enough fullness..enough to make it look decent but still allow me to be able to limp around. plus i figured peasant skirts would make it easier for me to go to the bathroom. then having to deal with a hoop. bad enough when you have 2 hands let alone only use of one, plus the privies at Sterling ren faire are so small.
excuse my typing..trying to learn to type left handed !!

peggyelizabeth

most importantly, take care of yourself! My mom sprained her Achilles a number of years ago & she still has times when it lets her know that she's over-done things. Please make sure that the group you're going with knows that when you say that it's time to sit or to go home, you mean it.

as for the costume question, you could wear many skirts under your gown, BUT it may end up weighing more that your hoop & could wear you out faster. I find that skirts without something to hold out the weight get wrapped up around my legs and the chances of misstepping or falling are greater.

Are the bones in your hoop removable? You might ask a friend or family member to help you replace them temporarily with something softer, like stiff cord to be able to use them. You'd likely have a better chance at maneuvering through the faire.

Lady Amy of York

i already told everyone i plan on sittiing at faire and not walking. i justwant  to go and see friends.

yes, i was thinking  too the extra skirts could be too much weight.   

worse case scenario i wear  my wench wear , or one of my lighter weight gowns  and save  debute of the new gown until  i can  function  better !

believe me i plan on taking easy with the foot and wrist ! i don't need any more surgeries this  year !    sigh... what  a year...is it 2009   yet ? ;D

gem

My biggest concern would be not whether the peasant skirts will give enough fullness under the velvet, but whether they will lift the hem enough.  Without a farthingale, the skirt gets dramatically longer... and you will run a bigger risk of tripping.

Wear something easy.

Merry

corded petticoat instead of a farthingale!  That sounds ideal for my new middles.  I really want something to add umph to the skirt and keep it from getting tangled up in my legs.  A farthingale is too much for middles and besides, it will shorten the skirt.  A corded petticoat sounds perfect...

Thanks for the idea!