News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

DragonCon 2011

Started by Auryn, February 18, 2011, 12:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rani Zemirah

I would LOVE to be able to go... but I'm trying to save up to move back to the mountains right now, and I doubt we'll even get to go to Faire more than once or twice this year...  

I left him a message on here, but the last time he logged in was the 11th, so it could be a day or two before he even gets it...  LOL

Oh... you should SEE some of CapnFaye's costuming!!!  Especially her Firefly stuff...  :D  She ROCKS the cosplay cons!!!  ;)
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Auryn

More good news Adam Baldwin aka Jayne cobb was just confirmed as a guest at DragonCon

Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Rani Zemirah

Oh... SHINY!!!  Gaaahhh... now I REALLY wanna go!!!  Lucky!!!  :o

I bet I know someone who will be dressing Kaylee!!!  :D
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Auryn

hehe,
i wish you could go. itd be awesome to know someone there,
but I get it, I can see why the mountains are calling you back.
maybe after your settled in the mountains
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Rani Zemirah

Maybe so... although if gas prices don't go back down then I may not be doing much traveling at all, ever again...  I've wanted to do Dragon Con for years, though!  Of course, knowing someone there doesn't help me much, since he always stays in the hotel so he doesn't have to drive at all!  LOL
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Eric the Ugly

I've lived just about 20mins south of Atl. and have all my life. I'm also a huge geek.

I've never been to DragonCon.
Many years back I used to want to go very much. But then I went to a few comic and anime cons (other folks' ideas). My desire to go to DragonCon has immensely lessened.

Perhaps if it were free. Or in a time of the year that wasn't still incredibly hot. Or if I didn't hate and wasn't terrified of highway travel. Or if most geeks knew how to bathe. Maybe then I'd go.

Rani Zemirah

And no doubt you would find endless things to hate about it.  But then, that's just you...
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Eric the Ugly

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on March 16, 2011, 11:36:40 PM
And no doubt you would find endless things to hate about it.  But then, that's just you...

Or maybe I see it simply as far more trouble than it's worth and as this is a thread about it and other people are presenting their views/experiences, perhaps I assumed it was acceptable to voice mine.
I mean, seriously, have you smelled been to a convention during humid, summer weather before?
Have you almost been killed a billion times in a few miles driven in Atlanta traffic before?

Rani Zemirah

I understand that you prefer to give the negative opinion... no matter what it is you are commenting on, so I wouldn't expect anything else.  All I was saying is that I am sure you would hate it even if it were free, and in November... and everyone were required to bathe before attending.  And even if no one else was allowed to drive then except you.  If someone is predisposed to dislike something, then nothing will change their mind...

However, there are thousands of people who DO enjoy it... and I would imagine their opinions hold weight, as well.
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Eric the Ugly

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on March 17, 2011, 04:59:29 PM
I understand that you prefer to give the negative opinion... no matter what it is you are commenting on, so I wouldn't expect anything else.

Surprise! There are things I like, things I love, as well as things I do not. How did that happen? Oh, that's right. I'm human.

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on March 17, 2011, 04:59:29 PMAll I was saying is that I am sure you would hate it even if it were free, and in November... and everyone were required to bathe before attending.  And even if no one else was allowed to drive then except you.

That sounds perfectly awesome, actually.

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on March 17, 2011, 04:59:29 PMHowever, there are thousands of people who DO enjoy it... and I would imagine their opinions hold weight, as well.

Waitaminute. So, since there are people with opinion, they can voice theirs?
Unless it's one you dislike, I guess.

Or rather, to you the plural of opinion is fact?
Well, then, you're forgetting about the far greater number of people who don't enjoy it and don't go. Woops.

But, hey, whatever. Sorry I didn't echo the exact same thing others did and gave an opposing viewpoint. Also, sorry about your one-sided...whatever it is. But, if it's what you like, then I'll let you win all the internets. Now, you can pump your fist in victory and be awesome. I owe you a Coke.

Rani Zemirah

Eric, I never denied your right to do anything, at any time.  I just pointed out that you never seem to like... well, anything that anyone here posts about, at all.  And you seem to want to rain on whatever parade is in town. 

Whether you ever go to any con or not makes no difference to me, whatsoever, and if you feel it absolutely necessary to spread heavily negative opinions everywhere then you have fun with that... just don't seem so surprised when someone points out how little it really matters to them that you want to dampen their anticipation of a special event. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Eric the Ugly

Well, I honestly didn't mean to threadcrap. That's why I was confused that you seemed to get your nose outta joint. I tried to put it as diplomatically as I could and still express my views 'bout it.  :-\

Auryn

All view points are appreciated but itd be lovely if you guys would quit the bickering before the thread gets closed. ;)

Rani Zemirah

I'm sorry, Auryn. 

Eric, I was less than diplomatic in my response to you, and I regret that.  I know better than to post when I'm agitated about something, and I need to remember the 10 minute rule...

Auryn, I've been trying to get my friend to log on here, but he's been busy lately, so he hasn't had much time.  I did tell him about the thread, though, and sent him a link to it in renmail, so whenever he next gets online hopefully he'll jump in here.  I'm not even sure how many times he's been to DC, but he's been going every year for a long time, so I'm sure he'll have a tip or two to offer.  Particularly about the party scene...  lol. 

What I wanna hear about is your costume choices!  Do you know what you're going to wear yet?!? 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Auryn

Thanks for the effort Rani, itll be nice to get the point of view of a frequent DC attended.

As of right now the only thing set in stone is Cheetara. I am going to do a more edgy cheetara which is requiring me to lose about 20 pounds (which I have been meaning to lose for the last year) so that I will feel comfortable wearing a skin tight copper outfit. I am going to start designing the leather next week.

Other than that I am debating between a Mord-Sith red leather suit or something out of the Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland. If I do Alice I am leaning towards the red poofy dress she wears as Um.

I have a steampunk costume that I have been working out in my mind since last fall but haven't decided if I will undertake it or not.

I am only going to do 2 outfits so I need to make up my mind.