News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

DragonCon 2011

Started by Auryn, February 18, 2011, 12:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auryn

My Rogue and I have decided that this year, the one trip we will take will be to Dragon Con in Atlanta.

I was wondering if anyone from the board is planning on attending or has been before and would like to share their thoughts

I have been looking up hotels and everything within a 6 mile radius is basically sold out (even the $250/night+ hotels).

From what it looks like, we will have to stay somewhere 10-15 miles out and drive in everyday-i hope the commuting doesnt suck as much as I think it will.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Rowan MacD

Many folks who attend the big cons like this rely on shuttles to get them back and forth but there should be park and ride locations around the city with courtesy buses to Dragoncon for those who have to drive themselves.

Good Luck!
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Auryn

Good to know.
I'm sure its going to be a blast getting around downtown Atlanta in full get up:)
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

stonebiscuit

Livejournal has at least one community dedicated to finding rooms and roommates for Dragon*Con (I believe it's called dragoncon_rooms). There's a huge amount of roomsharing, swapping, and transferring that goes on.

Incidentally, should you decide to go again in later years, you'll want to check the date(s) the hotels become available and book as soon as they open on that day. I believe the Hyatt and the Marriott sold out in 20 minutes this year.

Stalkwell

The good lady Stalkwell and I will be there.  We have been going for over 10 years now.  Hotels have to be booked the day they are available to get into the 4 or 5 main hotels.  They don't accept reservations during the con.  There are a few hotels within 3-5 blocks of the con that still have rooms, but you are typically talking $100-$200 per night for 4 people. Your other options are to book further out and ride the underground/rail system (MARTA).  There is a Marta station less than a block from the main hotel (Hyatt).  Check dragoncon.org for the list of overflow hotels.  Be advised, parking at the hotels is extra ($15-25 per night).

Stalk well...
Enthralled with the Faeriebox...

Auryn

Thanks for the tip on the hotel parking Stalkwell.
Do you and your good lady have lifetime passes???

We are looking to book our hotel this week and are well aware we will be staying between 10-15 miles out.

Stalkwell, mind if I ask you a few questions?
-Do you garb at dragoncon or go in civvies??
-If you garb, do the town folk ever hassle you??
-Do authors charge for autographs??

Stalkwell

Quote from: Auryn on February 28, 2011, 11:08:51 AM
Do you and your good lady have lifetime passes???
Unfortunately, no.  Eternals are way up there in price.  It would have been worth it way back then, but you need to attend at least 10 years now to break even.

Stalkwell, mind if I ask you a few questions?
-Do you garb at dragoncon or go in civvies??
Both.  The wife goes in anything from  civvies to ren garb to pirate to steampunk.  I usually only go in civvies or steampunk.  We shoot a lot, and garb is sometimes a game killer for the tight quarters we get into, but in the steampunk shoots it helps as camouflage.

-If you garb, do the town folk ever hassle you??
Absolutely not.  They have too much fun laughing at the freaks to interrupt them ;)

-Do authors charge for autographs??
Some do, some don't.  We at least tip for autographs.  They usually have autograph row with an assigned schedule.  Sometimes the authors are in the dealer's room seling their books, and autograph for free.  Don't expect any freebies from the actors (unless you catch them in the elevator, we see Richard Hatch at least once every year somewhere in the halls).

Other tips:

• Be aware phones probably will not work in the catacombs.  You will be 2 or 3 floors below ground in some cases, and not all of the hotels have repeaters.
  • the food court is your friend at 11:00 p.m. Learn to run for food whenever possible.
  • You will be nose to armpit crowded in there.  Don't take it out if it can't be bumped or twisted or smacked.
  • 60,000+ people.  Plan ahead for the panels you want to see.  Sometimes you wait in line for 2-3 hrs. for autographs or hot small panels.
  • TAKE A CAMERA!  And dump your media at the end of the day... if the camera is 'misappropriated', your shots aren't lost.  We hear of at least 3 people each year (from the 2000 that we know  there) that lose theirs and continue to whine about it for a whole year.
  • Find the Daily Dragon for real-time con updates.  You will miss a LOT unless you are on top of it.
  • DragonCon TV is your friend. Some panels are televised live.  The comedy is excellent.
  • Ask the major groups there (DC, Star Wars, Steampunk, etc.) when their competitions and shoots will be.  Most people miss seeing 100+ awesomely dressed super heroes posing in one place at one time
  • Don't forget to sleep... you need at least 2 hrs. a day, usually between 5:30 and 7:30 a.m. ;D

Go see my website or the wife's equally awesome one for a preview...
Stalkwell's DragonCon Stuff
Faeriebox's DragonCon Stuff

Stalk well...
Enthralled with the Faeriebox...

Auryn

Stalkwell,
do you have any recommendations for hotels that are not downtown but manageable??
I am not finding anything decent available.
The only thing I found was a holiday inn express and the reviews for it were scary

Zardoz

"Don't forget to sleep... you need at least 2 hrs. a day, usually between 5:30 and 7:30 a.m."

Yes! I try to follow the 3-2-1 Rule at any con, get at least 3 hours sleep, 2 meals, and 1 shower per day!
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Auryn

Hehe
thanks
well after 5 hrs on the internet yesterday when I was supposed to be working I finally found us a hotel without breaking the bank, its a bit far so we might have to take public transport but it will still be cheaper than the $250/night at the sheraton.

I am very happy about it cause the stress of finding lodging was killing me.

Today they announced that Christpher Lloyd will be there- GREAT SCOTT  ;D

Aiacha

Please come by and see me at the MechCorps Battletech set!  I don't know where we will be yet, but we have plans to bring the pods again this year.

Rani Zemirah

Auryn, Pirateleach is a regular at DC, and I'm sure you could pick his brain for all sorts of awesome info.  He also happens to be a great friend, and I'm sure he would be an awesome party guide for after hours, as well!  He lives in the area and has been attending forever, so he's familiar with the whole setup...  I'll see if I can get him to come out of his cave for a few and post something here! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

CapnFayeCutler

Glad to see so many coming to Dragon*Con this year! I'm looking forward to it! Luckily I know people who live down there so I have my lodging situation down. :)
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

Rani Zemirah

Yeah, just one more reason for me to be green with envy this year...  :P  ;)
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Auryn

Im jealous CapnFaye but I cant complain cause I did manage to find a place that wont totally destroy our finances.

Rani,
I would love to talk to him, itd be much appreciated it. There is still time for you to save up and come too.
Our goal is really ot try and immerse ourselves in the whole vibe, make some new friends and party the night away.
Aiacha- I checked out your website and it looks awesome, please do let us know when you find out exactly where you will be located so we can visit.

I am on a rigorous work out regime right now to lose all the weight I gained last year so I can look relatively decent in my cheetarah get up (still trying to figure out how I got talked into that one) and maybe a Mord Sith outfit, if I get around to making it.

Capn, do you garb for DC or go in civvies?