News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

History, Customs and Manners 2012 version

Started by SirRichardBear, March 06, 2012, 11:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raevyncait

I'd say that, at least at Scarby, the Wench Line in parade has become the exception to the curtsy... we all tend to bow to His Majesty. Not that we are trying to distract him or anything....  ;D
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: SirRichardBear on March 08, 2012, 03:48:02 PM
Right leg for God left for crown, ladies keep back stright so as not to show clevage.  Men foot turned slightly toward the outside to show off a strong calf. most reverence should be high not low. If I remember the lecture correct.

...the strong calf! Yes... now I recall that statement at HCM. I believe it was suggested that it was easier to drop the right foot back, than to step the left forward.   What do you mean by "most reverence should be high not low," Sir Richard?

Quote from: raevyncait on March 08, 2012, 04:04:03 PM
I'd say that, at least at Scarby, the Wench Line in parade has become the exception to the curtsy... we all tend to bow to His Majesty. Not that we are trying to distract him or anything....  ;D
You don't happen to bow to wizards for any reason, do you (he asked hopefully)  ;)
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

raevyncait

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on March 08, 2012, 04:13:48 PM

You don't happen to bow to wizards for any reason, do you (he asked hopefully)  ;)

Well, Merlin, we line up EVERY DAY between the Taylor Lane arch and Eagle's crossing bridge, pretty much across the path that goes off the parade route and farther into Pecan Grove.  Our Rogues line up across from us in front of the pottery shoppe that's right there... Aside from actually being IN parade and marching on the side where we would be on your left, that's the optimum Wench viewing location...
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Merlin the Elder

Such a tease... you're going to get me into trouble with Nim

Captain Teague

I can see it now....

Merlin making a mad dash for safety....runs by....stops, takes a quick Ogle....runs on......

Closely followed by Nim.....flogger in hand.......

;D
The Code is the Law...

raevyncait

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on March 08, 2012, 07:15:04 PM

Nah, she can stand with us & be part of the line... you'll be all the way over there, not like you'll be fondling a bunch of wenches...
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: raevyncait on March 08, 2012, 07:26:12 PM
Quote from: Merlin the Elder on March 08, 2012, 07:15:04 PM

Nah, she can stand with us & be part of the line... you'll be all the way over there, not like you'll be fondling a bunch of wenches...

You're assuming.... ;)

SirRichardBear

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on March 08, 2012, 04:13:48 PM

...the strong calf! Yes... now I recall that statement at HCM. I believe it was suggested that it was easier to drop the right foot back, than to step the left forward.   What do you mean by "most reverence should be high not low," Sir Richard?

Low reverence is where you go all the way down with the knees deeply bent and bowing low over the forward leg.  a high reverence is only a slight bend of the knee bowing only a few degrees at the waist.   high is for normal greetings while the low is what do either to show off at dance to asking the king not to cut off your head for some mistake you've made.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

SirRichardBear

What you mean your NOT trying to distract the Scots?  Now that is disappointing after all highlanders are much more important than a per Engish King.    mmmmm did I say that out loud?  that could get me in a mite of trouble again
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

BagPipeBabe

Right leg for God left for crown, ladies keep back stright so as not to show clevage.  Men foot turned slightly toward the outside to show off a strong calf. most reverence should be high not low. If I remember the lecture correct.
I never knew there was so much involved.... but the funny thing is I have been doing it the right way.

captmarga

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on March 08, 2012, 03:02:31 PM
You just want to see me lose my head!

PS: I watched last year at the HCM, but didn't practice, and forgot ...left leg is forward, or right? Expose the inside of the leg...not skin, but just so that the inside of the leg is facing...supposed to show respect, as I recall... Or am I dreaming all this?  BTW, not talking about the curtsy...I'm talking about the bow.

Curtsy is usually a bit of a cheat - the legs cannot be seen, so most ladies will step back on whichever foot is most comfortable.  If taking a knee or reverence, as stated, it's Right Knee to God. 

Ladies should not Tip the Shelf (as do the wenches) and gents should remember if they doff their hat, the lining of the hat should be turned innermost to themself, not outward to another person.

Marga
Corp Capt Marga, Dame Den Mother, Scarborough Royal Guard.  Keeper of the Costume Closet.  Artist, Rennie, Etc, etc, etc

Norfolk

Right leg for God left for crown, ladies keep back stright so as not to show clevage.  Men foot turned slightly toward the outside to show off a strong calf. most reverence should be high not low. If I remember the lecture correct.

My compliments, Sir Richard, on either your memory or your homework, for you have it exactly right, judging from what I am able to ascertain from searching multiple sources.  

von Schaumburg
Just call me "Your Grace"

DonaCatalina

Good Sir Richard is a gentleman and a scholar.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

cowgrrl

I believe this has been done the past few years but I always seem to miss it:  I would love to hear about the role of children during this time. Their education, death rate, 'day in the life' of different social classes children, etc.

raevyncait

Quote from: SirRichardBear on March 08, 2012, 08:02:28 PM

What you mean your NOT trying to distract the Scots?  Now that is disappointing after all highlanders are much more important than a per Engish King.    mmmmm did I say that out loud?  that could get me in a mite of trouble again

*giggle* well, we are equal opportunity distractions... and I swear we know not where the whispers of 'swish swish swish' originate as the Scots pass...
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist