News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Faire: Should it be Fantasy or Historically Accurate or a Mix?

Started by Cobaltblu, June 23, 2008, 04:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Jack Wolfe

Historically realistic events have their place, to be sure.  But I enjoy myself much more when it's a big ol' mixed up jambalaya of period and fantasy characters.  My 'persona' is a post-Commonwealth English pirate, not an Elizabethan sea dog.  Not very fond of thrum caps and short coats, thank you, and buff coats make me chafe. 

Strictly enforced temporal restrictions are fine and dandy in situations like, say, Williamsburg, VA, or Fort Snelling in MN, where it's an immersive environment for the sake of education.  To be able to walk up to an actor who represents a person from that time and is well versed in the history and their station can be enthralling, but not something I'd want a steady diet of.

Give me a faire where people can be what they choose and explore the history of it as much or as little as they want.  Keep the environment free, and you'll find that even those guys in Starfleet uniforms end up learning something.  They might just surprise you by trading in their phaser for a kilt, ladies.  (There might have been a little roguemouth in there somewhere...  ;))

Besides, who's to say Darth Vader wasn't a contemporary of Henry VIII?
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Whistler Fred

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on June 24, 2008, 08:50:37 AM
One of the largest faires in the country, Bristol, has Queen Elizabeth I as the monarch. And who runs around the lanes?  Robin Hood, Maid Marion, and the band of Merry Men.  As well as the glade where the fairies spin a net.  And these are cast members, not playtrons.

Certainly not historically accurate, or even from the same time period, but judging from the crowds that attend every weekend, it's what the paying public wants -- or else they wouldn't be there.  I think commercial faires have to try to appeal to a wide variety of people to keep the revenue coming. 

And if it was truly historically accurate, I wouldn't be there.  At my age, I'd be dead already!

In my earlier post, when I referred to fairs that combine both historical and fantasy elements, I confess that Bristol was on my mind.  Prior to joining the cast, and even afterward as time allows, I enjoy shows like the falconers or the cringe-inducing but fascinating barber-surgeon presentations.  But I also enjoy seeing my younger kids playing with the Fantasticals and watching the fights between Robin Hood and the Evil Sheriff, although putting Robin Hood in the Sixteenth Century took some suspension of belief for me.  And I particularly love the music, whether on period instruments (a rare thing at most fairs these days - alas!) or on "modern" guitars and fiddles. 
Whistler Fred (Lauritzen)

"Get ready for the Whistler.  I'll whistle along on the seventh day."  Ian Anderson

Scotsman

Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Taffy Saltwater

I could never get a frozen Bellini at an H/A event.  Hot weather + no frozen drinks = < happy Taffy.

Sveethot!

VIII

Dressed Victorian for the Dicken's event in Waxahachie for Christmas, my wife and I wandered down to the "Bethlehem Revisited" at the local church.  They recreate the "Little Town of Bethlehem" complete with a Market, Inn, Synagogue, shops and homes.  Two casts and six "stops" in their performances and Baby Jesus is born every half-hour.

When asked, "Why art thou attired so strangely?" by the young shepherd, my wife replied, "We won an all-expenses-paid weekend trip from our good friend H. G Wells in his time machine.  Wouldn't you want to come here?"

They were properly pleased.
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Cobaltblu

Quote from: Sir Gawain on June 24, 2008, 05:48:23 AM
Blu, is this the flying rodent you speak of ?

YES

I have to admit I loved those people.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Mistress Anne

Bristol is my home faire and I think they have the perfect mix of historical and fantasy. The queen and her court strive to be H/A and do a wonderful job at it! But we also have the Fantasticals---fairies, elves, etc that seem to fit in quite nicely. As has been mentioned already, people in this time period DID believe in fairies and other like creatures.

The Robin Hood characters were a little strange to me at first, but it is so well done that I don't have a problem with it at all.

I am part of a musical ensemble (Courtly Consorte) that plays at Bristol 3-4 Saturdays each season. Although we don't use historically accurate instruments (plastic recorders, modern guitar, modern violin), we only play music that would have been heard at that time in history.

The mix of H/A and fantasy are just right, IMHO. :)

*Teach*

I don't know of any faire that I regularly attend that is strictly HA.
Realistically, I would never want to live in those times anyways... just visit.
My main interest is in pirates, I spend a large amount of time reading and learning about them and there is no way I would want to have been one in any era. The average lifespan for a pirate was about 2 years at sea. By that time their bodies were so screwed up from malnutrition and disease that they either died or retired to a miserable life on shore trying to scrape by. Some of course were exceptions but the great majority were pretty bad off.
As far as the time period I normally act out in and accuracy... well, my first thing I am grateful for is that people bathe... more than a couple of times a year. If we wanted to stick with HA all the time, then there would be FAR less nobles and merchants and FAR more unwashed peasants.
So, in my view it's a matter of how much HA do you really want? If you really want accuracy then go for it, but for me... I just want to have fun playing.
Scarborough is my 2nd fav faire and is about as accurate as I care to be.
I Love the fantasy elements of TRF, everything from the mythological critters to even the holodeck malfunctioning trekkies (provided they really play into it).

Having said all that... my real point is, go to the faires you want... have fun with what you want to and don't let the parts your not into ruin the fun you could be having.

*HA would mean I couldn't have rum... screw that*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

brier patch charlie

Well, here is my 2 shillings worth, I'm in accord with most everything that has been said. I like the H/A, and thats just me. I try to be H/A, but the time frame of my grab is mid to late 17 century to mid 18th century, because that is the hay day of Highlanders and Kilts and I primitive camp also. In my camp all mundane stuff is put away and my camp looks period. I've done Civil War Reenacting for many years and my garb was right for late 63 early64 and I still had the costume Nazi's try to nit pick to death, and all that dose it take way the fun and why we come to faires and event.  But yes I would like to see faires lean more to H/A then fantasy. But not all are in to history like I am and want fantasy, and I'm fine with that just don't try to twist history into fantasy. Some garb pushes the envelope, like chain mail thongs, but thats what you like,OK so be it.  As for me I will try to be H/A, as my brother and I joke, while walking around Sacrby and TRF,in are kilts and wool coats with wool waste coats and full kits " Dame I'm hot in all this, But By God I Look Good"!
          What this is all about is having fun, and if your not, well it's time to move on.
Charles Coleman

CaraGreenleaf

Personal opinion here, having worked at a strictly historical faire, both!

The faire I was on cast for was so strictly historical, that our costume vetter wouldn't allow dresses that were machine sewn. Which actually caused alot of issues.

I feel that a faire should have historical cast members, but not be so strict that all seams have to be hand-sewn. But there is no way to control what guests wear, and I think fairies should be encouraged, along with other fantasy creatures. I see the appeal of a strictly historical faire, but having been among the inside workings, it is very hard to achieve, and even harder on the volunteers that are the cast.

But yes, like others have said, Faire is meant to be entertaining for all involved, and unfortunately, strictly historical faires have a tendency to lose that for the cast because of the strict rules on garb and props. So, I go for both, but am not neurotic about historical accuracy.
Castleteer, IWG# 3606, MERC# 836, PRIV# 1311
Flog'n M'Crack, Chieftess of O'Cinneide

Corseter, Costumer and Crochete

Scarlett

Poppycock!  Balderdash!

This question has always puzzled me.  If a faire owner wants his cast  members HA, then so be it.  Hand sewn stitching?  Give me a break!  Who would examine a costume that closely?  Jeez!

As far as playtrons go - if it looks good baby, wear it!  HA or not.  If not being HA offends some people, they have the choice to stay home.  If a playtron is going to the trouble and expense to come in garb, then I say let your freak flag fly! 

If someone is so darn concerned about HA and the whole "immersion" aspect, they might want to look into participating in SCA events only.  Although, I've been to some of those and noticed quite a few non HA things from sweat pants, tennis shoes, work boots to RVs.  And that duct tape  on the PVC weapons is a real mood breaker IMHO.

Have a few pints  at the pub and you won;t give a darn what anyone is wearing!  LOL.  Faire is a festival, a party!   Have fun
Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

Peddlin

Now to be fair, I have known a few SCA members that I feel sure went out into the woods and killed their very own polyesters, and skinned them. They make very nice, wrinkle-free garb.
Peddlin M'Crack
Countess of Tyrone
Ette
IWG #3790, Local 96

jmkhalfmoon

On the flip side, we went to a faire (not our home faires) where I felt like we were one of the few playtrons and mundanes kept coming up and asking us questions like where's the cash machine, where's the bathroom....because we were told we looked like staff!  No biggy, we just couldn't be helpful since it was not our home faire.  So....I'd rather be at a faire where people are dressed be it medievil, renaissance, fantasy or far off places....but leave the Klingon, storm trooper, batman costumes for a Halloween party.

I honestly feel more of a kindred spirit with a person dressed like a Roman Legion or LOTR ranger than a mundane at faire.

I've not done an SCA event, but would love to, and that is where'd I fully expect a high degree of HA or at least a really earnest attempt at it.

I do think cast members should pick a time period and try to stick with it with a somewhat historically based storyline.  A Robin Hood in Elizabethan times seems a bit odd, but if it entertains the masses that keep the gates open....then I'm all for keeping the gates open so the playtrons can play.

Lady_Glorianna

I think a mix of both is a healthy thing with the personal exception of futuristic characters. As most have said, people back then believed in fantasy. The court was known to put on "pageants" and Henry liked to play Robin Hood so this character along with other medievals are not so far fetched.
Lady Elizabeth Poyntz
Ynez de Leon
Catherine of Austria, Queen consort of Portugal
Molly Blair

Taffy Saltwater

Quote from: Peddlin on June 24, 2008, 02:49:44 PM
Now to be fair, I have known a few SCA members that I feel sure went out into the woods and killed their very own polyesters, and skinned them. They make very nice, wrinkle-free garb.

Are the polyesters related to naugas?
Sveethot!