News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Sleeve Eye Candy thread

Started by gem, July 18, 2012, 03:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

The other day, I was thinking how fun it would be to have dedicated, ongoing threads featuring inspiration (and tips?) for particular garb items/elements--kind of like "Show Us Your Hats!" or the Fairwear Love threads in Garb... but with a broader scope, so we could include portrait inspiration and research, too, as well as talk construction, maybe?

(One of my longterm ambitions is to make a Greensleeves gown inspired by my favorite song... although I have absolutely no idea what it will consist of, except extreme, over-the-top sleeves that are green. So I'll be collecting ideas and inspiration until the right mood--and fabric--strikes!)

Here are a couple of pictures I caught of a new gown worn by one of the foreign princesses at KCRF last season. I seriously got heart palpitations when I saw those sleeves!!

(These two castmembers are mother and daughter in real life, and have been on cast for years and years and years.)

Also from last year, I made my first set of sleeves--reversible paned sleeves to go with my purple damask kirtle (and turn it into an Italian gown). I used the Margo Anderson Elizabethan Ladies' pattern, and I absolutely love how they turned out... except they're too big (sob!). So I don't have any *good* photos of me wearing them, because I look like they've totally consumed my arms. Alas.

In that first photo, you can see how I used Cindy's (Sealion) button + hair elastic technique to attach the sleeves to the dress. Mine ended up being a little bit loose, so they came undone a couple times while I was wearing them. Not sure if a pair that fits correctly would solve that issue.

Ok, who else has fabulous sleeve pictures to share? Lady K--how about the gold sleeves for the Little Queen gown? And Cilean, we need to see the finished woven ribbon sleeves for your Margo Iron Dress!

Rowan MacD

Great idea for a thread!  I 'm getting ready to make sleeves and matching foreparts for gowns this year (as opposed to an entire new outfit).
  Can't wait to see pics!
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The sleeves for the Little Queen coming right up.

Lady Kett's Sleeves to her Venetian gown made earlier..

"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

iain robb

Wow! Keep the sleeves coming!

The sleeves this lady had at Georgia Renaissance Festival are the inspiration for the sleeves I'm making for my wife's gown:

Though you cannot see them terribly well here, they were open in front and trailed almost to the ground.

(Coincidentally, my wife's gown is also blue, like Lady Kett's. And that bit of fabric I was going to use for the front of the bodice is the same pattern as the damask in Lady Kett's. I think I'll try to use something else. Wouldn't do to be matchy-matchy.)

DonaCatalina

Embroidered and pleated Tudor Foresleeves

The sleeves on both sets of dresses were inspired by the same altar piece from Padua

Then there are the long Spanish Imperial sleeves.Each individual stripe on the undersleeves is sewn down with copper thread and then embroidered with metallic copper.

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Rennigirl

http://www.avclub.com/milwaukee/articles/its-good-to-be-the-queen-a-conversation-with-brist,82246/

These sleeves have made me want them since I set eyes on them.  OK - she is the Queen and can be all fance schmancy with her sleeves, but they would be easy enough to copy in a lower status gown as well.  Just don't use as much purple, red and gold or have a GREAT excuse at the ready as to why your character is wearing them!   :D

Wickedvox

Gem you couldn't have had more perfect timing. I have sleeves cut out and ready to put together, but I've been intimidated as I've never done them before. They're just the MA plain curved sleeve, and the same basic garnet linen as the bodice I've been working on, so I can't imagine doing any as fancy as what I've seen. I'm looking forward to some technique posts!
"Not all those who wander are lost..."

CalliopeCC

WOW, how awesome are the sleeves on the Lady on the left from KCRF?!?  :o

My recent attempt at something similar did not come out so well.  :(

Not one to give up so easily, I'm reworking it, and hope to have something simply scrummy to post for everyone soon. 

But PLEASE, good Gentles, post more sleeve inspirations! Like hats, they're an imporant accessory that should be appreciated.

gem

Wicked, those are the same sleeves I'm thinking about for the pink corset, but I'm nervous about the sizing, after my last MA sleeve experience. I'm hoping to Frankenpattern them using my yellow sleeves as a basic block and then drafting the curve. I need to dig out my pattern and have a look at it, because I like reversible sleeves (you have to line them, anyway), and I have no idea if I can do what I want with trim &c (was thinking one side pink damask and black trim, like the corset, and the reverse black linen and pinked suede, like the skirt).

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Wickedvox on July 19, 2012, 04:06:13 PM
Gem you couldn't have had more perfect timing. I have sleeves cut out and ready to put together, but I've been intimidated as I've never done them before. They're just the MA plain curved sleeve, and the same basic garnet linen as the bodice I've been working on, so I can't imagine doing any as fancy as what I've seen. I'm looking forward to some technique posts!
These are the same ones I'm going to try.  I have only made one other set-from a simplicity pattern.   They came out OK, but hubby didn't like the outfit, so they will never be seen.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

gem

Adding some period imagery into the mix! All these date to the early-mid 1500s (1520s-30s-ish):

This is a woodcut by Danish artist Melchior Lorch, mid-1500s.

Detail of "Marriage of the Virgin" by Jan Mertens the Younger, Dutch, c. 1520s.  (This tells me I haven't given adequate consideration to the fabulous color combination of pea green and hot pink! Who would have thought that would look so spectacular?!)

And some figures from a Franco-Flemish tapestry series, "Scenes from Lordly Life:"

Lovely two-part Italianate sleeves with lots of chemise puffed through. But those bell cuffs are really unique!

Elaborate two-part tie-on sleeves on an early Tudor prototype gown. I like the layering of different fabrics shown here--Can't you see this done with bands of gold brocade atop green velvet? Yummy!

And so the men don't feel left out--check out the crazy loopy paned sleeve treatment here! (This is worn with a simple, form-fitting, parti-color medieval-style doublet and hosen.)

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The original portrait of the sleeves.

Recreated Italian Sleeves from a  gown on the Realm of Venus website. Very detailed and scrumptuous.

"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

gem

Here's one of my favorites from the Portrait Gown thread. I think it's by Veronese? Dona C copied the green sleeves on the left for a new gown earlier this year...

I am *crazy* about the gal in orange!

gem

These two are confusing--they're either by or after Andrea Solario, and represent either Salome with the head of John the Baptist, or Judith and the head of Holorfernes... but that's irrelevant. This is all about the SLEEVES!! I think these are more fantastical than realistic, but they're definitely great inspiration:

(I've actually seen two different versions of this painting, and I don't know enough about them to add any more than that, but the other can be seen here.)

DonaCatalina

Green sleeves ...he he he... on Saint Justina of Padua.

Dortmund, Petrikirche, altar, painted panels, #30, detail

Dortmund, Petrikirche, altar, painted panels, #9, detail
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess