News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Hurricane Ike - where will you be?

Started by Var Greyshadow, September 11, 2008, 12:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Var Greyshadow

With Ike bearing down on so many of us, I thought it might be good for those in the path to let everyone know what we're doing so we can keep track of people if this gets really bad.

Lawrence and I are staying at my apartment in northwest Houston (third floor - possible wind worries, not flooding).  Got food, water, a camp stove with fuel and plenty of lamp oil and candles.  Just have to go stock up on beer and wine!
"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"

JackGonzo, MD

We were planning on staying by Minute Maid since we live on the fourth floor, but since her parents live out in Magnolia anyways, we're heading that direction some time tonight.

I hope everyone stays safe and dry, especially those of you heading out to Serendipity this weekend.
On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Bonny Pearl

We live in Magnolia, so we are just stocking up on supplies, securing items on the property, etc.  I hope everyone stays safe!

Cheers!
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Lord Dragonspyre

I'm staying put and riding it out in NW Houston
Corrupting Impressionable Youths Since 1976.

IBRSC#1475, RMG#820, IFRP#1276
Horseman of Debauchery

PurpleDragon

Wife, kids and I will be riding it out in our home out in Humble.  Should be alright other than some nasty wind and rain, but should make it through alright.  I will have my laptop up and running as long as the battery lasts after the power fails (as I know it will do), but then I have my TREO for emails and such as well so I should still be connected to the internet somehow.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Zaubon

Since I live next to the HGAC office, I'll be staying home. I wonder who will have electricity back on first?
With my dining facilities I'm not worried about going hungry.

mpullen

I'm by Highway 288 just south of Beltway 8. There is a mandatory evacuation for my county (Brazoria), except for my town (Pearland) plus Alvin and Manvil which are in the northern most parts of the county.

They have just announced mandatory evacuations in Harris county (north of me) for the low lying areas.

The Governor gave a news conference a few minutes ago showing the effects of the storm surge. Texas City will be under water. The surge will move all the way up the channel to Houston.

Opps, the news just now announced mandatory evacuations for Pasadena, which is by SE Houston (where my office is located).

I'm hunkering down at home. If I see a long term loss of power, I'll bring my trailer from my Son's ranch and live in it until power gets back, assuming I can get to his place (Manvil).

This hurricane will effect all the way up to Dallas-Ft. Worth, especially with the expected spawned tornados.

Prayers for all who are in Ikes path.

Trillium

We're evacuating to a friends house in Spring tomorrow morning.  The roads are a mad house right now and not worth the stress of going yet.
Let's hope the storm surge isn't that bad, I just bought my house and don't have flood insurance yet...
Got faerie dust?

LadyJessica

I'll be at home with my hubby, my mother-in-law, her three dogs, my dog and two cats...and possibly the hubby's Aunt and her dog.  FUN!!! (please note the sarcasm)
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP
Director of Social Tourture for the Empire
Gneaitheas Gnomie (DG#290)

Queen Bonnie

Don't head to Serendipity Haven. We are right in Ike's path. The faire won't be open this weekend- but will for pirate weekend!
I am battening down the hatches in Elgin!
Stay safe!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Muffin

Stay safe everyone!!! We will be thinking of you!!  :-*
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

Luciana

Stay safe! Let us know how are you doing.
Luciana
Gypsy Fur Trader
Ette,Divine Oracle

My goal in life is to be as good of a person
as my dog thinks I am.

Fenster

Hunkering down in Montgomery.  We are far enough North that we should be safe from the worst of it.

Blue66669

Temporarily going to my In-Law's house. They have lots of food, internet, and cable. If I have to lose power or be trapped inside, I'd rather do it in their big house than in my tiny 2 bed apt.

Chillin at Gessner and I-10...
Blaidd Drwg

Lady Guinevere

Boarding up the windows in Richmond (just south of Houston).  Should be a wild ride--we have plenty of food, water and batteries.  I'm going to sit outside as long as I can to watch the storm and drink beer...I can hear the boredom of the children already...
Clan McLotofus Elder