News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Faire Favors and Tokens

Started by Magister, May 12, 2008, 09:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcindie

I was totally inspired by the favors Faye Cutler posted ... so, kudos to her for the idea. ;)

This is what I'm making for MNRF this year, though it's not quite complete yet, I'm waiting on an order of miniature shells, so each of these bottles will have a shell or two as well.

(Click image for larger size to see some of the detail better)

There is a little miniature treasure map, some loose sand (crushed recycled glass silica sand substitute), and as I mentioned there will be a real shell or two in there as well, when those get here.  I just wrapped the pin back and the bottle neck with some embroidery floss, leaving a bit between the two so it can swing freely.  Only problem with the crushed glass sand is that it kind of fogs up the glass a bit if it gets stirred up too much.  so, I'm debating whether or not to just encase everything in some clear resin or just leave it as is, I kind of like it loose and able to move around.

If anyone is curious... this is the map:

slightly modified image I found through google image search, shrunk down to be 1" tall.. printed out a few sheets full (I was able to fit 90/sheet) then aged the paper using the good ol' tea dying method.. I think it came out pretty good. :)

Tim T

That is really cool!  Well done, sir!

I wonder if you could use the gravel they make for model trains or diorama making so that you have a larger particle in lieu of the sand?
Tim
aka Dark'n M'Crack of Clan M'Crack/Clan White

tcindie

I had thought about that too.. Though at this point I'd rather not dump any more cash into these if I don't have to.. I think the crush glass sand will probably be ok, and it was pretty darn cheap too.  If anybody has a need for some, I've got more than enough... bought a 5lb bag of it because I couldn't justify paying twice the cost of the item just for shipping, so now I have oh... 4.5lbs more than I need or so. haha

Cobaltblu

I had some ideas for favors this year and sent them out to a small group of people and selected one to use.

It is two hands grasping each other in a hand shake with the words "Well Met".

Here is the preliminary artwork.

What do you think?

This would either be a die-pressed design with raised sections which are polished and lower sections which are textured and darker/antiqued, or a 3-D cast pin which has a more 3-D appearance and has a variety of heights to increase contrast.  These would be in an antique silver or antique bronze or antique gold or antique copper finish.  It would be 3 inches wide with two pin posts on the back and possible a hidden loop on the back so it could be worn as a necklace pendant.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

tcindie

susannah

I agree! Great image and text! Nice work, Cobaltblu!!
Susannah
Wench Raised in the South/ Loki Musketeer

Cobaltblu

This is the artwork converted into 3-D.  It will be a cast 3-D pin.

Regards,

CB

Moldy Forest

I'm thinking of doing the whole bottle idea too... but with a picture of me making a stupid face inside. No one will forget that haha.
Chik-fil-a is the best restaurant ever. The End.

Cobaltblu

This is the evolution of the artwork and the final pin.

Regards,

CB

susannah

Susannah
Wench Raised in the South/ Loki Musketeer

Anna Iram

Nicely done Cobalt.  :)

I have been inspired to make favors but I need some advice. I have finally, after four years ,come up with something that will convey *me*. Problem is, I am not a beader and don't quite know how to put them together. There will be two beads and they need to hang vertically as the holes go top to bottom. 1)I wanted to hang them on a tie tac sort of pin,  but can't find a good price..anyone have a good source? 2) Is there such a thing as a tie tac with a hole to attach a wire ( for the beads to dangle) ?

Thanks all.

Sir William Marcus

Outstanding Cobaltblu!  The pin is most excellent!
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Cobaltblu

A good number of the pins will be made since I am extremely happy at how they came out.

I decided to sell a number of them and posted an ad in the buy-sell-trade section of the forum.

I give these away at The Sterling Renaissance Festival which is my home faire but figured people might like one who don't go to Sterling.

Grov

Quote from: Anna Iram on May 26, 2009, 11:55:57 AM
Nicely done Cobalt.  :)

I have been inspired to make favors but I need some advice. I have finally, after four years ,come up with something that will convey *me*. Problem is, I am not a beader and don't quite know how to put them together. There will be two beads and they need to hang vertically as the holes go top to bottom. 1)I wanted to hang them on a tie tac sort of pin,  but can't find a good price..anyone have a good source? 2) Is there such a thing as a tie tac with a hole to attach a wire ( for the beads to dangle) ?

Thanks all.
I've seen several favors with ribbons hanging from the holes on these with a variety of things threaded onto them.  Perhaps your beads could do the same?

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/browse/processRequest.do?demandPrefix=12&sku=68/45333&mode=Searching&erec=0&ms=search&D=metal+pin+back&cm_mmc=google-_-otc+sendtec+beading-_-pin+back+findings-_-pin+back&Ntt=metal+pin+back&Ntk=all&Dx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&Ntx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&searchTerm=metal+pin+back&N=0&BP=8895&requestURI=processProductsCatalog&source=google&sd=Silvertone+Metal+Pin+Back+Mix
I hope my life is an epic tale that ends well and everyone likes to read. --Grovdin Dokk

eloquentXI

I've got plans this summer to match another batch of favors because I've given away the 50+ that I made last summer...

my question is, do I make them the exact same as the ones I made last summer, or do I go for something a little different? Make different flower/bead colors or different paint colors on the stone?
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)