News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Next Week on Deadliest Warrior Knight vs Pirate

Started by Robert eben Hope, April 21, 2009, 10:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win next week the Pirate or the Knight??

Pirate
5 (38.5%)
Knight
5 (38.5%)
A ninja will come and kill them both....
3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: April 28, 2009, 10:00:48 PM

Chris B

Quote from: Sir William Marcus on April 29, 2009, 11:18:55 AM
Quote from: Chris B on April 29, 2009, 10:51:30 AM
The other major problem is how clumsy they portray these warriors.  Just the first pass of the knight alone with a morning star or flail could have ended it at the onset.  I think the testing and first 3/4ths of the show is interesting without "the outcome" which is complete fabrication to say the least.

But all in all I agree with this:

"But with any weapon the most important thing is how the individual uses it and what tactics he implements."

They take all the human decision making process out of the equation which is THE most important factor in any dynamic encounter.  Boyd's Cycle comes to mind.

Absolutely without a doubt.  I must ask out of curiosity if you where asked to represent a warrior on this program which warrior would it be?

If I were going to have to represent one?  I guess I would have to say the Samurai because most my tactical training and formal weapons training with pre-modern weaponry is from the Japanese.

Sir William Marcus

Excellent. Back in the late 80's early 90's I logged quite few hours in Kendo and thoroughly enjoyed it.
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Chris B

I really enjoy it too.  My sword training was all and will continue to be in Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido for the Katana.  It is very theraputic and peaceful to work on weapons movement...............at least for me.

BamaWoodsman

The test of the blunderbuss is what killed it for me.  In the test against the armor they used modern BB's for the shot charge which to my knowledge is a far cry from the larger lead shot that would have been used by the pirate. The BB's velocity would potentially be 500 fps faster than the lead, on top of the fact that it is a harder material which would deform less on impact.  Basically, if they had done the test with a suitable shot the blunderbuss would have been much less effective against the armor causing little more damage than small dents. Against the sheild and armor it would be completely ineffective.

brier patch charlie

That blunderbus at close range under 20 yards, with lead shot ie.. 00,01, 04 buckshot or cube shot or buck and ball for that matter with an 80 grain charge it would have knocked holes all in that armor.  Pistols, oh ya like there going for 25 yard shots, not even, 25 feet maybe. But anyway it was fun to watch.
Charles Coleman

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Red Baron vs an F-22? Are you kidding me?

I remember a story a teacher told the class once. He has served in Korea and every day this little North Korean Bi-plane would swoop down from the sky dropping little bombs on them and straffing them. They would call in air support and t Sabers would show up and could never deal withthe little bi-plane., He was far slower and more nimble than those F-86 sabers. After many weeks of this they called in two Vought F4u Corsairs. That did the trick as they could cruise at a much slower speed and turn around before the Bi-plane was gone. Shot him down dead.

Now the DR-1 that the Red Baron flew had a top speed of about 88 MPH and was very nimble. But one hit from a 20mm cannon and say good bye to Mr Richtofen. The Red Baron would never get a shot to hit an F-22. By the time he heard or even say the F-22, it would be gone. Not sure if a heat seeking missle would lock onto a DR-1 or even a radar locking.

I have watched this show on YouTube as I don't have Spike. Seems pretty far fetched to me with what they come up with. Just my thoughts.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Sir William Marcus

Great story Lady de Laney, and BTW...

Quote from: Lady de Laney on April 30, 2009, 12:32:54 PM
Red Baron vs an F-22? Are you kidding me?

yes we were kidding  ;)

VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Robert eben Hope

I would like to see Zulu Warrior vs Aztec Warrior. I think that would be a fairly level match up and would also introduce weapons we aren't used to seeing.

renren

It was entertaining, but I think it a little too "out there".
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Lord Figaro

I'm with renren, fun for the entertainment value, but beyond that not really very precise on outcomes on certain aspects. The only and I mean ONLY thing I can see the pirate really has over the knight is that his granado would have acted like a flash bang on the knight and give the pirate a chance to rush in and finish him off. But there are so many what if's in the duel it's not really a fair challenge one to the other.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

No one can fault the show for entertainment value, and it might help spark some interest in folks and get them back in the books, but here's a little FYI I've run across:

http://www.martialdevelopment.com/blog/deadliest-warrior-combat-simulator/

I'm quite interested to see the computer's prediction of the bout between armored William Wallace and loincloth encased Shaka Zulu.

And why again didn't they choose a Knight of Malta around 1565 to fight the pirate?

Or a Samurai against a Warrior Monk of let's say.....the Teutonic Order?

Cobaltblu

This show is kind of like Celebrity Deathmatch which used to air on MTV.

I predict William Wallace will easily kill Shaka Zulu.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

Sir William Marcus

I missed it and forgot to record it, who did they choose as the victor?

Monsignor de Beaumanoir