News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Rules Disscussion and Ideas

Started by LadyJessica, June 13, 2009, 10:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

~pixie~

Ahh, yes.  You are so right. Good point.  Again, I don't think in those terms and am often vulnerable to those who would want to "cheat".  :: sigh ::

Indeed, I'll be there as well.  Glass in hand, song in heart, kilts in sight  :o  and good friends all around.

~ Pixie ~
the wicked wench
Rose Seller VARF
IWG #785 Local 42 MDRF
aka: Gold'n Penny
Irish Penny Brigade - Clan White

Lady Renee Buchanan

First, I'd like to thank Lady Jessica for what has turned out to be a thankless job!  You must have your head spinning with doing so much reading and trying to figure things out, and you do it in an elegant manner with a lot of class (I know I'd probably be banging heads together at this point, lol).

OK, one more suggestion.  This one is the simplest yet. 

You have 4 faires in the running now (come on, AZ, jump back in!).  Put all of them in the hat, let our most wonderful Queen of Everything put her hand in and pick one.  That way - no vote manipulations, and I don't mean the Mods would do that, what I mean is no one would get "spam" renmails to vote for someone's faire.  Sure, some people would be unhappy, but there will always be unhappy people.  And Queen Bonnie is such a sweetheart, whatever she picks out would be fine with 99.9% of everybody.

Then in the future, let there be the 7 regions.  Ask each region to sponsor a RenDezvous for that year (again, rotating states, so no one state dominates).  Put the 7 faires in a hat, Queen Bonnie draws, and Voila! (my name's not Renee for nothing) we have a RenDezvous.

It doesn't get any easier than that, and if Lady Jessica and the others keep getting beat up over this, then nobody will want to do the organizing for the choice of location, and we won't have any!

Lots of people liked my first post, and hopefully, lots will like this one.  This girl just wants ta have fun!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Anna Iram

Lairde, I echo Scotsman's sentiment. I *like* that you are outspoken and will stand up and say what others might not. Not so fond of the anti mod sentiments...  ;D but I guess you have to take the bitter with the sweet sometimes. Don't be down hearted.

Same for everyone. I've been stomping my feet too over what I think should or shouldn't be. Not sure who I'll vote for now that my first pick is taking a step back. Can't blame you two either I guess.

Blue, it wasn't the fact that Scarby stepped up that caused an upset. You all in Texas are so lucky to have two such great faires and if the vote goes to you this time around it'll be a blast. As would Sterling and/or Larf. It's nobodys fault. Alot happened around here since the last vote and we just need to get back on the same page and my goodness...I wouldn't want the job of sorting through all this in order to put it to a vote. That could take weeks more.  I guess I'd rather see us take one step back and focus on the Rendevous we *do* have coming up..in Maryland! Let's put this all to the side for now and think about the vote when we/you all return from Labor Day weekend. That would be my wish anyway. Perhaps the Rendevous will give us all the chance to reconnect and remember why we do this silly faire thing.

My half cents worth....

Marcos Charron

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on June 17, 2009, 05:51:27 PM
You have 4 faires in the running now (come on, AZ, jump back in!). 

LRB

I have sent a pm to Lady Jessica informing her that we, as a community met and discussed the matter and would like to be included on this years ballot for Rendevous. I know we have a snowballs chance in Hell of winning (darn Scarby!), but we need to complete the process to show that the system works.

Hope to see you in AZ sometime.

Viscomte
At the faire or in the wood shop, that's where I am!

Athena

Quote from: Scotsman on June 17, 2009, 11:24:27 AM
This is make-believe people ... keep it fun

FINALLY, words of wisdom! Where do I get the t-shirt?  :)

I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that if your faire doesn't get Rendezvous the stars won't fall out of the sky and the world as we know it won't cease to exist. Life goes on. The fact of the matter is, it's an invasion just like any other invasion, only it's the official R/F gathering. There will be gatherings and plenty of fun to be had at other faires, it's not like everyone else will be left out in the cold.

Please, lets throw constructive criticism out there and cut the complaints and the drama. The system isn't perfect, but the moderators are working on it. Kudos to them, especially to Lady Jessica, for their patience and willingness to listen to the concerns of fellow forum members.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Lady Nicolette

Thanks to everyone deciding to make peace! 
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

renfairephotog

Glad Az is still in the running.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Scotsman

Quote from: Viscomte de Arcadia on June 17, 2009, 07:54:02 PM
as a community met and discussed the matter and would like to be included on this years ballot for Rendevous

MOST EXCELLENT!

Tis good news indeed. Glad you guys are back in the fight ... God knows I know how you feel, it took 4 years to get Rendevous in MD. If at first you don't succeed ... drink more and try a fourth time!  ;D
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

renfairephotog

Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Scotsman

Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Willa Swallow

I just don't get what all the caterwalling is about.  We offered to host at LARF; we were defeated; we'll get over it.  Will I go to the next Rendevoux?  Yes, if it is at a time I can get away from work and I can afford it.  Does it matter where it is?  No!

Am I going to Maryland Rendevoux? No, because I can't get time off from work.  Not because I have anything against anyone or because I like this faire better than that faire. 

Whatever changes ya'll decide to make to the rules, just make sure they are clear.  Personally I'd like there to be 7 Rendevouxs per year, one for each region.

This is why I don't have that many posts.  There's just too much drama.

LadyJessica

LARF hasn't lost yet hon.  The voting will being again tomorrow at midnight.  ;D ;) :D
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP
Director of Social Tourture for the Empire
Gneaitheas Gnomie (DG#290)

irish

WAIT!!!! It's only "make believe"?
Scotsmannnn, say it aint so!!   :o
Dang......... :P LMAO!!!

I am glad things are getting sorted out. I also want to thank Lady Jessica, for her hard work. It is a 'thankless' task, to be sure!

Az., glad you folks are back in the running!  :D

I wish all the faires the best of luck and as Scotsman has stated, if you don't get it this time around, try again!!!  ;D

irish  :)
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

eloquentXI

Quote from: irish on June 18, 2009, 08:35:26 PM
WAIT!!!! It's only "make believe"?
I also want to thank Lady Jessica, for her hard work. It is a 'thankless' task, to be sure!

Wanna second this, all the stress and work falls on Jess' shoulders. We love ya for all the hard work and couldn't do it without you babe!  :-* :-* :-*
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Comte de Gilbert

I've chose not to chirp in on the heated discussion, because I can argue at work...the exact thing I look to faire to get away from. Instead I'd would just like to make a humble suggestion based on a few other ideas:

first: faires put their name in the running as they do now

then open voting to "anyone" regardless of the time they've been here (set a minimum vote count to qualify..we all want a big turn out)

then take say the top 4-5 qualified faires

put those faires in a hat and have an unbiased moderator draw the name to select the host

Those that live by the sword, lose to those that live by the gun