News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Rules Disscussion and Ideas

Started by LadyJessica, June 13, 2009, 10:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: Comté de Gilbert on June 19, 2009, 07:49:55 PM
I've chose not to chirp in on the heated discussion, because I can argue at work...the exact thing I look to faire to get away from. Instead I'd would just like to make a humble suggestion based on a few other ideas:

first: faires put their name in the running as they do now

then open voting to "anyone" regardless of the time they've been here (set a minimum vote count to qualify..we all want a big turn out)

then take say the top 4-5 qualified faires

put those faires in a hat and have an unbiased moderator draw the name to select the host

Didn't I just say that?
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Julianne

Maybe you did....

just that the Comte had another way of saying it....that's okay isn't it?

AZRF is just fine with everything that has been accomplished.  We are not pulling out of the running per se...we conceded to the original vote count.

Huzzah to all the Faires in the running.   

Comte de Gilbert

If you did, I'm very sorry, I just couldn't bring myself to read through the whole thread. It saddened me to see such great people argueing over something that should be nothing but fun for all of us.
Those that live by the sword, lose to those that live by the gun

Lady Renee Buchanan

Well, you know the saying:  Great minds think alike!

The reason I was kidding you was cause I had just posted it about 5 or 6 posts above.  Nothing mean intended.

Hopefully, all the members will vote this time, a faire will be picked, and then everyone can start enjoying themselves at their faires again (meaning people like me, whose faire season is just beginning in a few weeks, I realize some people's season is over already).

I did have a question about the voting process, and thought this thread was where it should be posted, instead of the actual voting thread.  For those that choose to vote anonymously, can the mods post every so often something like,

Anon. Votes for Scarby to this point:  #
Anon. Votes for Stirling to this point:  #
Anon. Votes for Arizona to this point:  #
Anon. Votes for Louisiana to this point:  #

And then the next time it's updated, instead of repeating those numbers above, could it be something like:

Anon. Votes for Scarby from last count:  #       etc, etc.

That way, everybody can keep up with how the votes are going.  I would like to know that, and maybe others would, too.  Just a thought.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

renfairephotog

Quote from: Comté de Gilbert on June 20, 2009, 09:55:38 AM
If you did, I'm very sorry, I just couldn't bring myself to read through the whole thread. It saddened me to see such great people argueing over something that should be nothing but fun for all of us.

Amen, The reason for RenDevous after all is to SHARE our of love of faire, not divide us.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Greenman66669

I too would like to extend a HUGE thank you to Lady Jessica for everything you do for us.  Thank you!!!
Shogun of Japan
Loki Prince
FOKTOP Royal Marshall

photomike

I must agree, Hip-Hip-Huzza To Lady Jessica! Thank you for all the work you do for ALL of us!
*links and URLs not allowed in signature* - Admin

Anna Iram

Quote from: renfairephotog on June 20, 2009, 11:08:58 AM
Quote from: Comté de Gilbert on June 20, 2009, 09:55:38 AM

Amen, The reason for RenDevous after all is to SHARE our of love of faire, not divide us.

Hey...didn't I already say that?  ;D ;D ;D

Lairde Guardn

Now that the vote for 2010 is almost over and 2009 seems to be going along very nicely on the way to Maryland.   Can we now sit down and come up with a set of rules and get them voted on for the future.   
Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt

Lairde Guardn

2006 Texas
2007 Minnesota
2008 Tennessee
2009 Maryland
2010 Texas

So far Rendevous has been represented by the Southwest Region twice, Midwest, Southeast and East.  That leaves Northeast, West and Northwest that have not hosted an event.  

Now that the vote is final, can the discussions on getting a complete member voted set of rules for the future begin so that we can have them voted on before we start the 2011 process.   As I have said before, I think it is only fair that the Membership vote on the rules that we use for the Rendevous, and if the current rules are the ones that are voted in, then I am fine with the rules.  Until that vote I will continue to argue as to the fairness of the ones we have.

These are the rules and regulations as they stand now:

Faires

1.The U.S. will be split into 7 sections:

a.Northeast: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York
b.East: Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Virginia, West Virginia
c.Southeast: Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi
d.Midwest: Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa
e.Southwest: Kansas, Missouri, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico
f.West: California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Colorado
g.Northwest: Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska

2.A faire cannot be considered again for ten years or until the section has been chosen twice.

3.A section cannot be considered for four years. (In other words in 2010 the Southwest section can be in the running but Texas Renaissance Festival cannot be in the running until 2016.)

4.On the slightest off chance that a faire should decide to close it's gates after it has been chosen the faire in 2nd place will get the RenDezvous.

Planning Committee

1.On May 1st, LadyJessica will post what faires are open for volunteers to come forward to say that they would like to plan a RenDezvous.

2.Everyone will have one month in which to announce that they'd like to plan a RenDezvous.

3.In order to be in the running for the RenDezvous the faire must have at least two people to plan the gathering.

Voting

1.On June 1st, LadyJessica will post which faires are in the running for the RenDezvous.

2.A members' vote will only count if they were a member before June 1st of that year and have at least 25 posts.

3.Everyone will have one month in which to place his or her vote.

4.Each member has one vote and one vote only.

5.For that vote to count the member must make the vote themselves. You cannot ask someone to make it for you.

6.Please keep the voting thread to votes only.

7. Votes must be made in the thread. You can not Renmail your vote.

Campaigning

1.After we know which faires are in the running we ask that each person planning the gathering to write up a paragraph or two about why we should choose their faire and to give us general information about the faire; i.e. times, dates, prices, camping, etc.  You can do a write up as a group.

2.These paragraphs will be sent to LadyJessica who will post the paragraph along with who wrote it under one thread, which will remain locked.

3.If you have any general questions about what someone has said please Renmail that person and ask them.

4.There will be no why-my-faire-is-better-than-your-faire politics. If the Mods start to see these posts they will be deleted.

5.If you want to have more people vote for your faire you may post reminders within said faire's section in the forum.

1st Proposed rule change under "Faire"

No section that has already hosted a rendevous or is scheduled to host a rendevous will be considered again until all other sections have had a rendevous or a section that has not had a rendevous fails to propose a faire for selection.  

example:  This would mean that only the Northwest, West and Northeast regions could offer to host the 2011 Rendevous.  Then the vote would be held from the proposed faires from those regions.

If for some reason we fail to get a proposed faire from an area that has not already hosted a rendevous, then the process will be open to the area from the furthest date that held the Rendevous

example:  If for some reason Northwest, West and Northeast all fail to offer to host the 2011 Rendevous, then the offer would be open to the Midwest since it is the furthest area to host a rendevous from the current or proposed.

(this rule will ensure that each section of the country will get a fair shot at hosting the rendevous)

2nd Proposed rule change under "Faire"

A state within a section that has already held a rendevous, will not be eligible to run again until at least one other faire from another state in that section has hosted a rendevoux or if no other state from a section proposes to host a rendevous and the section is eligible, then the same state can propose a faire.  

Example:  When the Midwest becomes eligible again, the State of Minnesota would not be eligible again until at least one other state in that region (Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Wisconsin, or Iowa) has hosted a rendevoux

(this rule will ensure that more states get a fair shot a hosting a rendevous)

3nd Proposed rule change under "Faire"

The following two rules be deleted

2.A faire cannot be considered again for ten years or until the section has been chosen twice.

3.A section cannot be considered for four years. (In other words in 2010 the Southwest section can be in the running but Texas Renaissance Festival cannot be in the running until 2016.)

Under the current rules, Texas can be in the running again in 2015 and although it says that TRF cannot run til 2016, it would be eligible in 2015 because of the rule the section has been chosen twice.  My arguement is still that a section should not be chosen again until all other sections have had a shot at hosting the Rendevous.  Also there are other states in that region (Kansas, Missouri, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico) that should have the opportunity to host an event.

Under proposed rule change #2, both Scarby and TRF would be eligible after at least one other state from that area has held a Rendevous but it would be a few years.

Lairde Guard'n
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC

Lairde Guardn

Now that MD is over and Scarby is already elected to host the next one, will the "Mods" now consider it time to discuss the rules and proposed changes, formalizing proposals and finally letting the "membership" vote on them and then make one set of Official rules that will not change every year depending on the whims of a few individuals.

We now have time to get this all done and before we need to start deciding where 2011 will be.
Lairde Guard'n
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC

Lady Nicolette

Thanks, Lairde.  Will bring this back up and hopefully we'll get some sort of answers.
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

John

This is in my wheelhouse now.  I'll work with Deadbishop to simplify selecting great faires for Rendezvous.

Many thanks to Lady Jessica for her work serving our community.

John
972-259-8081

Lairde Guardn

Somehow I thought simplify meant the selection process would become fair.

Back to the Southwest for a third time ?

WHAT HAPPENED ?

Lairde Guard'n
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC

Anna Iram

I'd say it's all in how you interpret what was said. John has got the wheel and he and DB simplified the process by making this years choice. The West has never had a Rendezvous and Colorado is excited to throw the party. Now, instead of months of dragged out drama over voting like last year we can all move forward to looking forward to a great gathering. Hopefully next year we will have even more great faires knocking at Johns wheelhouse door and asking for the chance to take center stage.

*Anna lifts her mug to the forum* To FUN!