News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Victoria's Secret Contest

Started by Lady Renee Buchanan, August 23, 2009, 06:58:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Renee Buchanan

I have copied this from another board I belong to.  It was posted on The Bristol Board, then I saw it on The Wench Forum.  I thought it was worth sharing. I saw it yesterday and already voted yesterday and today.  I will continue to vote everyday, and I hope other forum members will, too.  I don't know her, but she is a brave young woman.

Hey guys, I know we've had a few of those "vote for me" contests posted recently, but I think you'll agree with me that this one is worth posting as well. The story is below, but in short, the 19 year old woman in question is the daughter of a Bristolian, who suffers from a cancer that will cause her to have her leg and part of her pelvis amputated.

"Many of you know her, many do not. Her name is Casey, and she's got osteosarcoma, which is an aggressive bone cancer that is eating away at her as we speak. In about a month she'll be losing her right leg and a portion of her pelvis sufficient to prevent use of a prosthetic.

She's also 19 years old.

She has entered a "Love your body" contest hosted by Victoria's Secret. The shortened text can be found at the link below, but here is the full text of what she wanted to say:

"I don't love the parts of my body that are affected by cancer. I don't love my tumor, or any of the nerves it's currently pressing against. I don't love the bones it has weakened to the point that I will have to use crutches even after the fracture heals in order to avoid fracturing more bones. On the other hand, I love my legs because they transport me, because I like their shape, because they've been pretty reliable for the last 19 years. I love my legs because I can move my little toes out separate from the rest of my toes. I love them because they make it possible for me to get piggy back rides. I love them because they help me dance. I love them because they come in a pair, so even when my right leg is amputated, I can still enjoy these things with my left leg. I love my arms because they support my weight on my crutches and make it possible for me to still get around without having to ask for too much help. I love my fingers for being able to grasp some things while still holding on to the crutches, without always spilling or dropping those things. I love my body's tolerance for pain, and the fact that it can take so much without making me cry in front of people. I love it for the fact that I didn't cry that one time when they were trying to hook me up to the IV and kept digging around the more tender veins in my arms. I love my body even though it doesn't look like the Victoria's Secret "A Body For Every Body" ad to the right of my screen as I type this. I love it even though it's bald and can't sexily toy with its hair, even though it has no eyebrows to arch at men, even though its bra size is only a 36A, even though its weight fluctuates but will probably never have that flat of a stomach, even though it will soon only have one leg and some people will be disgusted by it.
I love it even though it's falling apart. I love it because it's mine."

The prize for this contest is a three-day all-expenses-paid trip to NYC, includung a full spa day and other pampering prizes that she could really use after all of this awful trauma.

http://www.bodybyvictoria.com/#/Gallery/880

That is the link. All you have to do is click it, and click the vote button. (If you don't have the most recent java flash player you will be asked to get that, but it only takes a minute.)

Casey has been frequenting the Bristol Renaissance Faire for several years, and is a dear friend of mine, as well as one of Traveler's "daughters." For those who know Traveler's Lady, Debby...Casey is her youngest daughter.

You can vote once a day, and it only takes a second. Right now she's being beaten by a guy with a goatee who writes haikus. I think we can show the world something better than that.

So please. Go vote. Pass along the link to your friends. Because she needs this right now. Not only the support, but also something to look forward to when she recovers from the amputation surgery.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

LadyFireKissed

I voted and will continue to vote. that is an eye opener, I have been complaining because of a bad ankle, but that reminded me to think that it could always be worse.  give her a BIG hug for me.

Anna Iram

What a heartbreakingly beautiful message. I'm having a hard time deciding whether to cry or shout Hazzah for her spirit. :( Thanks for sharing that Renee. I hope she gets that push to the top from our Ren community.

...besides...why is a guy running..and in the lead...for a Vicky's Secret contest. What's up with that? grrr....

Grov

I hope my life is an epic tale that ends well and everyone likes to read. --Grovdin Dokk

renfairephotog

Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

dbaldock

Thanks for sharing this here.

I voted.
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Noble Dreg

As far as I am concerned, she's already won.

"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Rani Zemirah

I just voted.  Would you mind if I copied your post, Renee, and forwarded it to a number of women I know) and several men, as well)?  I am absolutely certain that they would not only vote for Casey, but forward it to all the women they know, as well as most of the men...
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Lady Renee Buchanan

I don't know this woman.  I think wildthingjew does.  Please feel free to copy it.  It's not my post.  I took it off the Wench Forum who took it off the Bristol Board.  I went on the board today, and the guy who did Haiku is in 2nd place, and Casey is in 4th place.  The other day, the guy had 3 thousand or so votes, now he has 32 thousand.  And the guys in 1st and 3rd place have 75 thousand and 12 thousand.  And they weren't even near the top when I looked.  I wonder if there is a way for somebody with computer knowledge to arrange the computer to get those kind of votes.

Note:  In BIG letters.  I am NOT saying these guys did this.  But it is awfully strange to go in 2 days from 3 thousand votes to 32 thousand votes.   And from nowhere to over 75000 votes.  It can happen, I guess, but I don't even know that many people! 

Anyway, I wish she would win.  There is 1 category for those with the most votes and another Judge's Choice award.  Maybe she can win that.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

wildthingjew

yes i do personally know her, and oh my i have never in my life met a more timid, sweet, person in my whole life, everyone please forward this to anyone in your address books, and from what i have heard the only way that this man leading her could have that many votes is some sort of manipulation so please all of us lets vote and lets vote daily, also a tidbit of information is that she is in the us airforce stationed in california for now but she was at bristol last weekend and what a delight to see her out. thank  you all for your time and well wishes.
jamie, mother of miss katie scarlett

Sir Sebastian Phoenix

Sir Sebastian Phoenix
Baron of the Black Plains
Commander of the Bradwei Eights
Lt in their Majesties Royal Guard

RenRobin

Loki-terr (in training)

Cap'n Hunnar Graybeard

IPB Clan Chieftain - Clan Williams (Kansas)
Crew of The Bayou Scoundrel
Landshark #58

Lady Amy of York

What a brave  young lady with a beautiful  spirit !  I wish her well.   I  voted !
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling