News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Auditions for '09 Questions

Started by Moldy Forest, December 15, 2008, 07:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moldy Forest

Hello fellow corf goers maybe you can help me out here. I want to audition as a guitarist for the 09 season and was wondering what to expect from the audition process. Was it long and dragged out? How many people show up? Is it a good idea to be garbed? Do you ever get to have a day off from working the festival to be a playtron? Thanks.
Chik-fil-a is the best restaurant ever. The End.

Tanda

It was not a long process when I went. Others may have different stories. The longest part was trying to figure out where I was going. There was one other person waiting with me, but that's how they schedule it. Check out the website starting in march now. http://www.coloradorenaissance.com/Auditions.html

You should wear your costume if you have one.

You do not get a day off of cast to be a playtron, but then we have so much fun on cast, why would you need to?
o/` I'm a little teapot...o/` No, I'm not, that would be silly. ::)

pktaxwench

Quote from: Tanda on December 15, 2008, 08:23:09 PM
It was not a long process when I went. Others may have different stories. The longest part was trying to figure out where I was going. There was one other person waiting with me, but that's how they schedule it. Check out the website starting in march now. http://www.coloradorenaissance.com/Auditions.html

You should wear your costume if you have one.

You do not get a day off of cast to be a playtron, but then we have so much fun on cast, why would you need to?

Honestly, of all the Faires I've auditioned for, CRF is the only one that says for it's audition process 'come in costume'.  Which I ignored.  It sounds egotistical, but I'm a wee bit more professional than that.  I did however bring photos along with my theatre resume of some of the costuming I've made for other shows.  None of which have ever seen the light of day in Colorado, so I don't know why they wanted to see it.   So, if you feel stupid walking around the 'real world' in a costume, get some good photos of you in whatever garb you've got and bring them copies.  My husband auditoned wearing his Army BDUs, and got cast without the long resume I have, so it's not all that essential.

CRF also has the most casual auditions I've ever experienced, if that makes you feel any better.   

Like Tanda says, why would you want to be a platytron when cast is so much fun?  I've never had the desire to be a playtron.  Either I'm performing, or I'm drinking/hangingout/running around in something NOT historically accurate.  Like Jeans and Tshirts (and even then, the FL cast convinced me to be a 'plant' in the audience for shows.)  I don't have an in between.  After performing at so many faires, the last thing I want to do when NOT working is to be working.  Although, my husband and I did have far too much fun as Jack Sparrow and Davy Jones for a day at Ravenshire's Pirate Renn Faire.  I don't consider that working, tho, just being dorks. :)

Don't ask for a day off.  They won't cast you if you can't agree to do all 16 performance days.

Break a leg!

Moldy Forest

Thanks for the help. I wasn't sure if it was more fun to attend or to work there, but it seems the work there option won. I guess I'll try out. Huzzah everyone!

Blushing

~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

pktaxwench

Quote from: Blushing on December 17, 2008, 08:54:32 AM
Best of luck to you!

Nononono! No!  It's bad luck to wish 'good luck' for an audition or anything theatrical.  You tell them to break a leg.

Sheesh.  Mundanes.  Don't know anything....

Might as well go chanting "MacBeth" on the grounds... after all, the whole thing is a theatre of sorts....

Saber

Tanda

Quote from: pktaxwench on December 17, 2008, 05:53:32 PM
Might as well go chanting "MacBeth" on the grounds... after all, the whole thing is a theatre of sorts....

Ooh. New goal for next year! Say "MacBeth" thirteen times every day. :) I'm a bad person.
o/` I'm a little teapot...o/` No, I'm not, that would be silly. ::)

Moldy Forest

If only I had that hammer I could never lose anything in life. Well mostly.

Demetrius

Quote from: Tanda on December 18, 2008, 08:57:30 PM
Quote from: pktaxwench on December 17, 2008, 05:53:32 PM

Ooh. New goal for next year! Say "MacBeth" thirteen times every day. :) I'm a bad person.

MacBeth I hear you calling but I can't come home right now... (KISS army, yeah!!!)
Truth teller of exceptional proportion...
Proud to be a part of the Colorado Renaissance Festival...

CapnJack

Macbeth, Macbeth, Macbeth, Macbeth, Macbeth, Macbeth, Macbeth, Macbeth, Macbeth, Macbeth, Macbeth, Macbeth, Macbeth.

And good luck!

What can I say, I find the best way to avoid bad luck is to laugh in its face.

As for what's more fun: playtron or cast, it all depends on your personality.  I know many people who love being on cast and would never dream of doing otherwise.  On the flip side, I also know several who would rather screw out their own eyeballs than be a payed employee of the festival.

If you're interested, by all means audition, and if you get in you can see if it's a good fit or not.  If not, you can always go back to paying admission.
"I've been through some terrible things in my life.  Some of which have actually happened."

-Mark Twain

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

The thing for me is this...

I'd be more than interested in auditioning as long as

1.) I was court.
2.) I didn't have to work food, I refuse to work with food
3.) Do retail (I did retail for a year and a half and it's not me)
4.) Didn't have to be there every weekend as it's a long drive to Larkspurshire from Loveland, not to mention I like nice hot showers every morning in clean Private facilities.

While I am no actor in any way I have no issue with talking to people. It's just being witty and spontanius that would get me in a hitch.While I do have an idea for who I'd try to ne (Mary Tudor Henry's younger sister who married Louise XIII of France and was back in England married to Charles Brandon without Henry's permission) I just don't think I would fit in well working at faire... but I'd love to. Not to mention then Toki would be off on his own with out his lady to escourt and I'm pretty sure Toki would not audion unless he could be my personal guard now that he has his Comb Morion helmet. ANd Toki is far to shy to act. at least I have had much stage experiance playing in front of any where between 10 to 600 people (musician at one point).
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Demetrius

2.) I didn't 'have' to work food. (I would say "get")

Ah- but you also get to work with people and you work in shade all day! And paytrons come and take your picture!  ;)

4.) As long as you have flip flops, the showers aren't too bad.   ;D

Hey Capn- that was 13 Macbeths...   :o
Truth teller of exceptional proportion...
Proud to be a part of the Colorado Renaissance Festival...

Jonas_MacPherson

Quote from: CapnJack on December 29, 2008, 01:01:38 AM

As for what's more fun: playtron or cast, it all depends on your personality.  I know many people who love being on cast and would never dream of doing otherwise.  On the flip side, I also know several who would rather screw out their own eyeballs than be a payed employee of the festival.

If you're interested, by all means audition, and if you get in you can see if it's a good fit or not.  If not, you can always go back to paying admission.

And there are people like who, who really want to audition, just that in the past few years, money issues have crept up. *this year? Looks probable, just need to make that all important phone call, and find a good photo *thank god my parents insisted on being shutterbugs last season. :) *

Moldy Forest

Ya going back and forth from loveland would suck after awhile, but I live in the Springs so I'm like fifteen minutes from faire. Does anyone know if it is better to call or email or even if they have started auditions yet?