News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Gardeners come hither....

Started by Baron Doune, May 26, 2008, 04:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Doune

Wasn't really sure where to to put this...but

I want's pics.

It's our time of year.

and anyone higher than than Zone 4a sucks....

ok I also could use a thousand pounds of old horse shiner bock too.

I know your busy...but your story?

How is your garden please?

Morgan Dreadlocke

If it grows, I waters it.
If it don't, I mulches it.
Zone 9  Cholla farm
My intentions are to commandeer a venue, sail to Tortuga, then pick, strum and otherwise play me weasily black guts out.

Mischka

Ummm...I have no idea what zone western CO is in.

This is our first summer in this house, so it's entertaining to see what's coming up around the yard.  I figured I'll give it a season, then pull out anything I decide I don't like.  Since I'm not a green thumb, I'm just striving to maintain right now.

So far I have irises, lemon balm, columbines, sea grass, tulips, lilac, lots of rose bushes, and many unidentifiable things.  The roses are actually starting to bloom! :)  A lady at the local nursery showed me how to prune them, and they appear to be happy with what I did.  Have to say, I never understood the whole "thorns & brambles" thing in fairy tales as a child...dealing with out-of-control rose bushes, I get it now, and have the marks to prove it!  :P

I spent all afternoon mowing the lawns, trimming, raking...yard work is tiring  ::)

Marietta Graziella

I suck at gardening but I'm awesome at growing weeds!   ;)

So Baron, how is the garden?  I love your backyard.  Picnic?  When? 
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

groomporter

I'm avoiding doing anything. There doesn't seem much point when sometime in the next couple years they are going to replace the entire top foot of soil in my yard as part of the arsenic abatement work due to a pesticide plant that used to be a few blocks north of us.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Blushing

So I can't do much in an apartment ... but I have several containers with 3 types of basil (although I think one will die thanks to frost) ... edible blooms (nasturtiums are sprouting from seed) ... baby cilantro, an asian leafy green (adopted from a local plant fair) and apple mint.  I have a pot of thyme, for the herb and the lovely blooms.  I'm also trying a tomato bush.  I'm still lugging some of the containers in every night since it can get cold (I'm on the Front Range in Colorado) ... and later on I'll have to take into account hail storms, but I'm optimistic!
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

winterland

Planted my garden Sunday here in the Minneapolis area. Bought the plants Sat. but saw that we had rain predicted and held off. Glad I did the hail storm that hit would have killed everything. Almost golfball sized hail. There were and still are leaves everywhere. The hail ripped leaves off the trees. 

Planted everything Sunday. 12 tomato plants.  A mix of Celebity, Big Boy, Brandywine and Sweet 100 cherry tomatos. A few beans, sugar snap peas, broccoli, Ichiban eggplant, scallions and from seed carrots, Romain lettuce.

Have had a composter for a few years and always shovel out a few scoops from the bottom of it into the garden. 

I have always used a little Miracle grow throughout the growing year but have wanted to try something more natural. I have always had good luck and get a great harvest, the tomato plants get huge.

Baron Doune

Well I've been working on mine for a while now...about 12 years or so.

Pat's Backyard

I tried doing the veg thing...just didn't work out.

Really would like to try doing some herb stuff.

GP I've been following that story for a couple of years now.  Has it run it's course as to the health risks?

Gardener eye candy...Crabapple 'Robinson

groomporter

Quote from: Baron Doune on June 03, 2008, 05:19:38 AM
GP I've been following that story for a couple of years now.  Has it run it's course as to the health risks?

I understand they've replaced the top foot of soil on pretty much all the high risk yards (90 parts per million of arsenic and above) but a neighborhood flier says they'll be re-testing the highest yards to be sure they've done enough. They should be starting on those over 25 ppm this year. We're at about 82 ppm in part of our yard so we'll probably be sooner rather than later. It seems really spotty depending on how the dust from the pesticide plant fell in the neighborhood.

Apparently most fruits and veggies don't absorb arsenic from the soil, so as long as you rinse them off well, or the kid's outside toys, the risk is low. But arsenic can be carcinogenic in low doses, so I can't help wonder about two cats we had who developed jaw tumors (They used to go out on leashes in the back yard.)

They do pay you something for plants that get destroyed, but it's pennies on the dollar so it really sucks for people who have done a lot of planting/landscaping. I get some water in my new garage from my patio so I'm hoping if I remove the patio bricks if I can get them to lower it an inch or two to relieve the problem
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Baron Doune

Baron Doune

Kruzar

I thought I would add my little project in here....

I have a small patio garden here in Southern California that is all fruits and veggies.  It is my first experiment into container gardening, and so far everything seems to be doing well.  We have 3 different tomato plants going, about 5 different pepper plants, zuchinni, yellow squash, okra, strawberries, and a wide variety of different herbs.  To add to the fruits, we just planted a dwarf Tangelo tree in a large container as well.  So far we have harvested a few peppers, cilantro, spearment, and a little basil.  The squash plants all have really pretty flowers on them currently, as do the pepper plants. 

I have a few pictures up on my myspace page, and will be taking more as the project progresses.  All of my stuff is in either a hanging type basket or in planter boxes with the exception of the fruit tree.  The tree is in a huge pot, and seems to be doing well.  This garden is an experiment to see what all will grow in the limited space, and I have tried several of the different techniques found on the internet.  One of the most interesting being the upside down tomato plant.

I am always looking for suggestions or comments.  I am really enjoying the garden thus far just for the calming effect it has, but I am hoping to reap some the edible rewards.
Gentleman Rogue

Tipsy Gypsy

We don't have a lot of room in our yard for gardening, but milord built a nice raised veggie bed, I have a small area for my herbs, and there are flowers here and there, mostly native plants. There are a handful of photos here http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24/Tipsy_Gypsy66/garden/ .

We're in zone 8b, so we're lucky to have two growing seasons. Already plotting the fall garden and trying to figure out where we can squeeze in a small compost area. We're going to try to go a little "greener", or at least as much as is practical. Kruzar, you're so right- there's something very calming about gardening. A little dirt under the nails is good for the soul. :)

I'm really enjoying everyone's posts and photos!
"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

Kruzar

Quote from: Tipsy Gypsy on June 05, 2008, 06:34:56 PM
We don't have a lot of room in our yard for gardening, but milord built a nice raised veggie bed, I have a small area for my herbs, and there are flowers here and there, mostly native plants. There are a handful of photos here http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24/Tipsy_Gypsy66/garden/ .

I was hoping to take a look at the pictures, but it seems it is a private password protected area.  Mayhaps you can make it public?

I definetly enjoy my little project.  I am going to try and take some new pictures this weekend, since things are blooming.  I never knew that squash plants had big yellow flowers.
Gentleman Rogue

Baron Doune

Has anybody tried to plants for tea?

Good or bad?

Big time zone envy going on here.

My brother always sends me lemons in January...ya fresh lemons when it's 20 below here.