News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Charlie Thacker, Campground Security, TRF

Started by TheOnlyAxxe, October 19, 2010, 06:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOnlyAxxe

As most of you are aware. Our beloved camp security director Charlie Thacker is no longer working for TRF as he was fired by King George Friday before opening weekend. Please show your support by sending a letter to TRF staff requesting that Charlie Thacker be reinstated as Chief of campground security and throw in a few kind words as it is not too late to help.....Please take the time out to help our friend and peacekeeper.....

Send emails to: TRFinfo @ texrenfest.com
                     George @ texrenfest.com

P.S. Could you please pass this on to as many camps as you know,

Thank you for your support

brier patch charlie

This is not good news to hear. I for one have sent them an e-mail. I do hope that they will renstate him. Charlie is a great guy, It wouldn't be the same with out him.
Charles Coleman

Stalkwell

Our letter is already in, with kudos for Charlie (and don't forget Mike).  After purging security on Friday night, someone was kind enough to vandalize our RV for us during the weekend.  We don't know if it happened on Friday night, Saturday, or Sunday during the day.  They trashed our big awning take-up sprag and tore the material.  We didn't spot the damage until we were in the process of breaking camp.  It took 5-10 minutes of pounding with a 3 lb. sledge hammer to get it to the point we could move the RV.

After talking to a random stranger at closing gate Sunday, we found out that their car was broken into in the parking lot on Saturday.  And that was just a RANDOM encounter... I wonder how much happened that weekend with that lovely move on George's part?

My understanding is that Charlie and his friends will not be back.  George was kind enough to inform him of his employment status AFTER he had camp set up at ground zero on Friday.  Being treated like that, I wouldn't blame him in the slightest for not coming back, but frankly that decision is between him and management.  Charlie was respected by every camp out there, and most knew him on a first name basis as well as how to contact him if they needed help.  He was a friend to everyone that wasn't causing trouble, and even with them he was reasonable.  We will miss Charlie.

Oh, by the way... have you noticed the signs with the contact number for security are missing?  I personally think this was an orchestrated move rather than a hissy fit over personnel

Whether or not Charlie's situation is resolved enough for him to consider TRF employment again, at least management should know it was a foolish move to leave thousands of patrons unprotected in the campgrounds for ANY reason.  I have been telling friends to stay away until the security issue is resolved.  I can say this from first hand experience that it has cost me.  Others that I know will NOT camp there this year, and I think this is good... lost revenue makes the point.  Some will not go to TRF without camping, so they are not going this year.  That's sad for them (and me). Lose a few hundred dollars, times a few hundred or thousand occurrences) and that will make the point to George, AS IT SHOULD.

Speaking of which, management keeps spouting that the $20 camping fee per car is for added security... yeah, right!

Tell that to my camper's awning

Stalk well...
Enthralled with the Faeriebox...

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Time for The Order to walk the rows.  >:(

*It was this that it was created for...*
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Queen Bonnie

I do not camp- but was talking to a friend Sunday who had his Angel sword stolen Sat PM. from the campground- I wonder how much else is missing?
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

DonaCatalina

This is not good news. I can see this heading back to the bad old days when people had to take turns going into fair to keep their camps from being pillaged.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

This is the exact reason that the Three Lairdes(Lairde Daniel, Lairde MacKee & myself) came together and created The Order... camp security.  Although some see it as more of a social club ( >:(), it's original intent was to walk the rows and help the police keep our fellow rennies safe.

We'll see who gives a damn about their fellow man...
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Lishy

I am very sad to hear Charlie will no longer be there.  He was a very good man, and I know I always felt safer knowing he and his crew had an eye on things.  It seems TRF is doing a fantastic job of running off a lot of really good people.

Im now reconsidering if we want to camp next weekend.  We don't have much, and don't have the funds to replace things that get torn up or stolen.  Maybe it's time to check hotel rates. . .
Muintir Go Deo!
SquishyLishy, Squeak, 1/2 of D-Lish
Clan o hEighnigh

Bonny Pearl

It is an absolute shame about what happened to Charlie and I would love to see him back again.  But I would like to point out before anyone gets caught up in a fear and/or vigilante downward spiral that on opening weekend there was a police presence at camp.  We will be out again this weekend and will follow our standard practice of due diligence and lock our valuables up.  Perhaps we can find out more while we are there as well.

I wish things were different and the people who experienced these thefts had not.
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

SolRac

On TRF's Facebook page they had a discussion section regarding camp security. Someone from TRF's Staff said they will be adding 2 4wheeler cops to patrol at night as well as the usual 1 patrol car every 2 hours for the rest of the season. Dont bother to look now though as they took the discussion section off the page. We will be coming out halloween weekend however, we will most likely be camping in family camping. For some reason i dont think thats going to make a difference.

Laird Nasty

Quote from: Fraser of Lovatt on October 20, 2010, 03:18:17 PM
This is the exact reason that the Three Lairdes(Lairde Daniel, Lairde MacKee & myself) came together and created The Order... camp security.  Although some see it as more of a social club ( >:(), it's original intent was to walk the rows and help the police keep our fellow rennies safe.

Couldn't of said it any better my self brother.
Laird Nasty of Chaol Ghleann
Now nastier than ever!

Molden

How freakin' SAD! I LURVED Charlie BIG TIME! My 1st memories at TRF (where I started) involved Charlie. Good Luck having ANY impact/influence on George. He's a hard-hearted BASTARD who cares not what others think.
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

SolRac

I was going to ask but forgot. Who was out last weekend? Did you see an increase in police at camp?

brier patch charlie

But was it George who cut Charlie lose, or was it the New head of Security. I was just on the Beefeaters page and it looks like this guy not getting along well with others. This new guy is NO Bill Pendlly. It may be we had a clash here, and George sided with the wrong lot.
Charles Coleman

beckgam462

Quote from: Nasty Mac on October 20, 2010, 07:20:35 PM
Quote from: Fraser of Lovatt on October 20, 2010, 03:18:17 PM

Couldn't of said it any better my self brother.

I am with Nasty and Frasier on this one
in the bilge with the vermin
Procrastination wannabe
Life Time member "Cottonbalers"';  Volens et Potens