News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Camping-General questions for a 1st timer.

Started by Hercules, June 17, 2009, 04:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hercules

Didn't want to hijack another thread so thought I'd start a new one.

I'm a regular Scarborough Faire attendee (Nut as some describe me) and have been told to see TFR. From the sounds of it camping is the way to go (also heard that in some cases camping is funner then the festival).

Sooooooo;
*When is it best to get there? As soon as the camp grounds open or ?
*Fire-pits. Are the pits already dug and hardware there or do ya bring your own ring?
*Generators. Done my share of tent camping and never used one. What are they used for and what's a good wattage?
*Ideas on absolutely-do-not-forget items for the camp grounds/festival?
*What's the weather generally like? For Scarby it's generally sunny and hot or rainy and muddy.

Thanks in advance for helping a new Rennie out.
Save the Earth (it's the only one with beer)!

Blue66669

Closer to time, Mr. Mpullen will post the camping threads about the "what to expect, and what to bring" subject. Study this one, there'll be a quiz later...

http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=981.0
Blaidd Drwg

bellevivre

The quick answers:

*When is it best to get there? As soon as the camp grounds open or ?
Generally, earlier is better- camp can fill up quickly, esp if there's not a group holding a space for you. Also, why would you want to waste valuable 'inside' time setting up camp?
*Fire-pits. Are the pits already dug and hardware there or do ya bring your own ring?
there are no fire 'pits', per se. Only above ground fires are permitted (barbeques, or raised fire pits)
*Generators. Done my share of tent camping and never used one. What are they used for and what's a good wattage?
no real need for a generator if tent camping. This is more for the popup or 5th wheel crowd.
*Ideas on absolutely-do-not-forget items for the camp grounds/festival?
dont forget booze, toilet paper (port-o-privies often run out) and garb to prepare for both summer and winter
*What's the weather generally like? For Scarby it's generally sunny and hot or rainy and muddy.
TRF, being in the fall, ranges from HOT opening weekend, to freezing (literally, water freezing to ice in kitchens) Usually the later in season it gets, the muddier. Personally, I relish the muddy days (fewer 'Danes) but again, it's a good idea to be prepared for all seasons
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Blue66669

Awwww, now you just spoiled my fun of sending him on a "persuit of knowledge"!

It's ok, there's a bonus question... where do you find the clans and what are their names???

*BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA*
Blaidd Drwg

bellevivre

awww, that stuff's just the BASICS! I'm still  learning the complicated stuff! everyone has to learn THAT for themselves!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Hercules

Quote from: blue66669 on June 17, 2009, 11:09:14 PM
Awwww, now you just spoiled my fun of sending him on a "persuit of knowledge"!

It's ok, there's a bonus question... where do you find the clans and what are their names???

*BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA*

Yeah I noticed some of the clan gatherings. And I do have a gal on the inside that's been to TRF (she's the one that turned me onto Scarborough) advising me like "Don't forget a jack! Cause even when it's dry there's mud".

wyckdblyss

From experience something you should always have with you is extra towels, blankets and warm clothing, esp. towards the end of the season. It can get COLD at night and it has also been known pour down rain when you least expect it to. There are also the little things that are usually forgotten, batteries, extra water, first aide supplies, air pump if using an air mattress, etc.
WyckdBlyss,
Royal Order of Lansharks Guppy No. 70

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Don't forget BOOZE!  it may not keep ye warm at night but it sure can help you ignore the weather.
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Hercules

Quote from: Fraser of Lovatt on June 18, 2009, 08:51:39 AM
Don't forget BOOZE!  it may not keep ye warm at night but it sure can help you ignore the weather.

Wait....are there no stores that carry booze close by for beer runs?!?!?!?  :'(

grizintx

If you like domestic(ughhhhh) you can get it at the nearby stores, real beer is not redily available, unless of course you ask for one.  Liq store is a few miles away at the shell station at the turn off.  However their choices are a bit more limited than you will find in the city.
May your cup never be empty, and your tent always be upwind of the privy.

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Come well stocked... food, beer, booze, clothes.  (damn, sounds like my emergency hurricane kit.)  If you hook up with a group, most make sure that there is enough to go around.
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

mpullen

Quote from: blue66669 on June 17, 2009, 04:15:29 PM
Closer to time, Mr. Mpullen will post the camping threads about the "what to expect, and what to bring" subject. Study this one, there'll be a quiz later...

http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=981.0

Thanks Blue.

I'm hoping for some updates from folks going onsite to work on their booths. I need them to take a little side trip and see if any more expansions have been done, especially around row 0. I think all the other areas have been cleared as much as they are going to be. I'll purchase another aerial view from TerraServer in a couple of months that should be updated.

I'll be spending the next few weekends up at Sherwood Forest, clearing the Playtron campgrounds and helping clans find good spots to buld their permanent camping spots.

Merlin

When you say..."get there early".... when is "early"?

Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: Merlin on June 18, 2009, 10:27:14 AM

Roll in Friday if you can, brother Merlin but since you are part of ML, the land grabbers can make sure there is room for you.
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Zaubon

Quote from: Merlin on June 18, 2009, 10:27:14 AM

There are normally a few people ahead of me when I roll in on Thursday night.