News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Camera Question

Started by Manwariel, September 14, 2009, 01:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manwariel

Is there a reason I shouldn't store my camera in the case with a lens attached? Just making sure.

Sullivans Bastard

Quote from: Manwariel on September 14, 2009, 01:18:15 PM
Is there a reason I shouldn't store my camera in the case with a lens attached? Just making sure.

What camera and what kind of case?  I always leave a lens on my pro DSLR camera bodies, and almost always kept lenses on my SLR film cameras back in the day...

If it is an slr digital, then keeping a lens on will help keep dust off the sensor.  Always put the dust cap on the body if taking a lens off for any length of time longer than necessary for just swapping lenses.

Manwariel

A'right. It's a DSLR, in a standard DSLR case.

Yeah, I always put the cap on when I don't have a lens on it.

Sullivans Bastard

Quote from: Manwariel on September 14, 2009, 03:33:24 PM
A'right. It's a DSLR, in a standard DSLR case.

Yeah, I always put the cap on when I don't have a lens on it.

I assume you mean the little wraparound form fitting cover and not a carry bag.  Leave the lens on if it fits.

Manwariel

Oops, I mean a carry bag, as you put it, like this.

Sullivans Bastard

Quote from: Manwariel on September 14, 2009, 04:12:04 PM
Oops, I mean a carry bag, as you put it, like this.

Definitely leave the lens on.  I only ever took a lens off when I was trying to pack two cameras in a bag designed for one. :D  DSLR cameras are so prone to dust spotting on the image sensor that I am almost paranoid about switching lenses unnecessarily - especially outdoors.

Manwariel

Okay. Thank you for your reply :)

Xanthenes The Unbalanced

If I'm going to store it long-term, I'll completely remove everything (memory cards, lens, bats), slap the back lens cap on it and put it some place safe.  My older cameras are stored like this.

If it's short-term, just between shooting, Sullivan's spot on. 
(This space for rent)

Manwariel

What do you consider short-term and long-term?

Xanthenes The Unbalanced

Quote from: Manwariel on September 15, 2009, 11:41:04 AM
What do you consider short-term and long-term?

Short-term, weeks to a month.  Long-term generally means I don't use the camera often.  If it's just one DSLR we're talking about, I'd just leave the glass on the camera. 

Honestly, the biggest reason I remove the glass and memory cards is to have them available for other cameras.  If any of the cameras will be stored long-term, the batteries come out for the safety of the camera.
(This space for rent)

Manwariel

Oh, okay. I just have one DSLR, and I use it fairly often.

Thank you.