News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Stage and Lane performers for 2011 Scarborough

Started by Berit, December 03, 2010, 03:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aerial angels

Aerial Angels are delighted to be coming May 7&8 - this is our first time at Scarborough as an act, though I've been there as a crafter and gamer back in 19(cough, cough, first time on the road, cough).

If you'd like to get a preview of our act, our 60-second promo is at:

http://angelsintheair.com/shows/promovideo/

Also - if you have a school or library connection, we're looking for additional gigs in the area with our "Poetry Circus" show for K-6 audiences. Holler if you'd like to see some more information!

Can't wait to be back -

Allison/Isabella

Ryk Rakham

Any news from "Hey Nunnie Nunnie"? I know they were there one weekend last year, but haven't heard if they are coming back. Their website shows only last year's schedule.
Ryk Rakham, scourge of the Red River
Rhyk Dragonfang

Jezz the Belle, scourge of the scourge
Lady Sherry

cyberrennie

Hey Nunnie Nunnie were offered a contract, but decided to do the west coast like last year is my understanding.

Merlin the Elder

Was it 2009 that they only got a contract for half the season? They were pretty miffed about it, and were not particularly discrete with their displeasure. I love Nunnie Nunnie, but that didn't sit very well with me. Since they're nuns, I'm sure they've been to their confessor and have been forgiven.

Several acts are working on a 4-week run, it looks like. If I were a betting man, I'd put money on Scarby management trying to keep the faire more fluid, to get more return business. Some of us they already have, but the Danes are another story. With so many faires running at the same time (or nearly so) in the (very) general area, I could see where they all could benefit from a larger pool of acts, and the acts themselves could more easily broaden their fan base.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

bookwench

Well, poo.  I'm going to miss Hey Nunnie Nunnie; they're one of my favorite acts. 
"I base most of my fashion taste on what doesn't itch." -G. Radner

Ryk Rakham

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on February 10, 2011, 06:58:50 PM
Was it 2009 that they only got a contract for half the season? They were pretty miffed about it, and were not particularly discrete with their displeasure. I love Nunnie Nunnie, but that didn't sit very well with me. Since they're nuns, I'm sure they've been to their confessor and have been forgiven.

Several acts are working on a 4-week run, it looks like. If I were a betting man, I'd put money on Scarby management trying to keep the faire more fluid, to get more return business. Some of us they already have, but the Danes are another story. With so many faires running at the same time (or nearly so) in the (very) general area, I could see where they all could benefit from a larger pool of acts, and the acts themselves could more easily broaden their fan base.

You're likely right Merlin. I can understand them wanting to mix things up a little. They do have us, and we'd watch HNN every year 2 or 3 times so I hate to see them not returnng...but, it might open the door for new favorites. Now if they cut DJ&M to half time, there might be a riot! Some things are better left alone. I do like a lot of what they are doing though and I understand that in this economy you gotta fight for every dollar that you can. (Resisting the season pass subject). So here's to a good season for all of our Faires and Festivals....melt the snow, bring on the sunshine and throw wide the gates!~
Ryk Rakham, scourge of the Red River
Rhyk Dragonfang

Jezz the Belle, scourge of the scourge
Lady Sherry

Merlin the Elder

Don Juan & Miguel maintains a considerable diversity between shows, but not only that, I think they've been at Scarborough almost since the beginning. They would probably be considered to be the anchor act for Scarborough.

Three of the four of us that travel together to Scarby attended Catholic schools growing up, and we would always make a stop at a HNN show. We used to get some funny looks because we'd be laughing hysterically at something that no one else caught. There is definitely some inside humour in their act.  When we go to Rendezvous in July, we can let them know that they're missed in Scarborough.

Ronald the Bald

Merlin,
One way to get return business is to sell season passes. Maybe somebody should suggest that.

Merlin the Elder

lys1022

Quote from: Ronald the Bald on February 11, 2011, 04:26:41 PM
Merlin,
One way to get return business is to sell season passes. Maybe somebody should suggest that.

I understand that people aren't happy about the season pass issue.  That's fine, it's your right to be upset.  But really, could we NOT have it become a part of EVERY thread on the board?  It's really getting tiresome.

Thank you.
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

Merlin

I've been in touch with most every performer from Scarby...and I can assure you that all my faves are returning.
And that includes the FIRE WHIP GUY ! ! ! ! !
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

DonaCatalina

I have heard from other sources thatpossibly having some acts only do a 4 week run is to get the 'danes back for more than one visit. If they can advertise different shows on different weeks, it takes away the 'it's the same thing every weekend' mentality that a lot of people who don't come all the time seem to have.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

BagPipeBabe

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on February 11, 2011, 03:40:34 PM
Three of the four of us that travel together to Scarby attended Catholic schools growing up, and we would always make a stop at a HNN show. We used to get some funny looks because we'd be laughing hysterically at something that no one else caught.

I go to HNN every year and i am afraid that a lot of there joke most people didn't get. I never thought there was a BIG enough group of  Catholics (or people who knows enough about them) around here.

Merlin the Elder

That's a good point, BagPipeBabe. In this part of the country, it might also be that too many Dane patrons found it to be sacrilegious. But if you had never been taught by a nun, or spent a lot of time around them, there are things that would just fly right on past you. They were, if you'll pardon the expression, funny as hell.  I hope their absence isn't permanent.

Bob of the Lake

HNN has performed at the NYRF for the past couple of years and they get great crowd response because of the religious demographic here in the New York area. Even people who aren't Catholic seem to know quite a bit about the religion--or at least have heard lots of stories about it. I'm not Catholic but at a HNN show, I'm LMAO with everyone else!  ;D
I came, I saw, I skipped to my lou.
            - Hammy the Squirrel