News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Re: Vent! Seriously. Vent.

Started by Lady Nicolette, September 01, 2008, 10:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurpleDragon

Quote from: Xanthenes The Unbalanced on September 05, 2008, 12:18:58 PM

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed by that thread being locked, too.  I thought it was civil, intelligent, and certainly fit the theme of "outside the realm of faire."  I haven't been here long, but perhaps there's just some unstated "no political threads" policy. 

I also found our banters back and forth to be remaining quite civil, whereas I have seen such discussions fall apart WELL before they hit the length we had going on that one.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Blue66669

Oh man, where to begin?

Well, I'm pretty sure you're not dead. So, in that case....*click click*

(that's right, that's the sound of me reloading)
Blaidd Drwg

maelstrom0370

Quote from: Noble Dreg on September 04, 2008, 10:45:35 PM
"A place for non-specific discussions outside the realm of faire"

Unless it's my thread, then it's deleted without as much as a "how do you do".  It is your site, do with it as you wish.  I would even accept "We did not want political threads of any type", but I would have thought in the "Spirit of Ren" I would have recieved the decency of a PM or other notification.  Apparently I am not worth the effort.  I thought we were friends...

Go back to your videos of "three ways and beer", apparently they are more accepted than political discourse.

No doubt I too will suffer the fate of my posts...

10 or 11 pages? 150-some posts? No blood?  Not even any name-calling?  Not bad for a politically themed thread.

maelstrom0370

Quote from: blue66669 on September 05, 2008, 12:56:28 PM
Oh man, where to begin?

**Makes a mental note to never, EVAR, tick Blue off**

Xanthenes The Unbalanced

Quote from: maelstrom0370 on September 05, 2008, 02:01:16 PM
Oh man, where to begin?

Well, if lamely using the term "EVAR" doesn't do it, you may be safe.   :)
(This space for rent)

maelstrom0370

Quote from: Xanthenes The Unbalanced on September 05, 2008, 02:07:50 PM
Quote from: maelstrom0370 on September 05, 2008, 02:01:16 PM
Oh man, where to begin?

Well, if lamely using the term "EVAR" doesn't do it, you may be safe.   :)

I learnt it from reading the intertubes!

festmum

Why does IKE have to follow in HANNAH's footsteps?   :-\

Storm

I am a member of several message boards/forums...

One thing that can bring down a thread, and indeed a whole forum, is politics...

This forum has remained, for the most part, free of political discussion. And, that is something I like about this site. I have seen too many sites brought down by political banter.

The thing about political talk is that it doesn't take much to set the powder keg off. There are always people, from both sides, that can keep things civil, but it only takes one person who can't, to light the fuse that will set the powder keg off. And, sooner or later, that keg will get lite. I have seen it happen over and over....

Some people are being hard on Bacardi for shutting down a political thread on this board. I don't blame him for doing so in the least. Actually, I am surprised he let it go for as long as he did. I don't think he meant anything personal by locking it off. I just think he meant to avoid a potentially ugly situation from happening. Kinda nipping it in the bud as it were.

Perhaps thing could have been handled better. I don't know. Maybe this forum does need a disclaimer saying that political topics are not welcome here?

Rage

Quote from: Storm on September 05, 2008, 09:16:24 PM

One thing that can bring down a thread, and indeed a whole forum, is politics...

This forum has remained, for the most part, free of political discussion. And, that is something I like about this site. I have seen too many sites brought down by political banter.

The thing about political talk is that it doesn't take much to set the powder keg off. There are always people, from both sides, that can keep things civil, but it only takes one person who can't, to light the fuse that will set the powder keg off. And, sooner or later, that keg will get lite. I have seen it happen over and over....

Some people are being hard on Bacardi for shutting down a political thread on this board. I don't blame him for doing so in the least. Actually, I am surprised he let it go for as long as he did. I don't think he meant anything personal by locking it off. I just think he meant to avoid a potentially ugly situation from happening. Kinda nipping it in the bud as it were.

Perhaps thing could have been handled better. I don't know. Maybe this forum does need a disclaimer saying that political topics are not welcome here?

Wait is this about the question I asked? Dude it was a question. I have not been on the forum most of the week so I had no idea who locked it or what happened. I just heard it was locked, not who locked. I am not being hard on Bacardi. Who locked the thread is not my concern, I just wondered why it was locked and why it was removed. I missed most of the thread...

Storm

Quote from: Rage on September 05, 2008, 09:32:31 PM
Quote from: Storm on September 05, 2008, 09:16:24 PM

Wait is this about the question I asked? Dude it was a question. I have not been on the forum most of the week so I had no idea who locked it or what happened. I just heard it was locked, not who locked. I am not being hard on Bacardi. Who locked the thread is not my concern, I just wondered why it was locked and why it was removed. I missed most of the thread...

Nope...

It had nothing to do with you Rage....

I have read other posts on this thread and the Random Topics one that alluded to this. When I wrote my post I had not even read what you said.

What I said was just my thoughts, in general on political banter. Noting I said was directed at you. As you said, you weren't here then and had nothing to do with it.

My apologies if you though my earlier post was directed at you. It was not...

Noble Dreg

Hey guys, sorry I started this (not in an angry way, just genuinely sorry).  All is well with me, while I do not feel right sharing PM's I thank all who dropped a line including the mods who responded.  I am satisfied with their explanation and have no ill will toward anyone.  All is good with me.  Bad week, bad month, bad year...I need a day at Fest!

Now for the expensive part...if you PM'd me BEFORE this post and happen to be at MNRF tomorrow allow me the honor of buying a round.  Each and every one of you are tops in my book.
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Storm

Quote from: Noble Dreg on September 05, 2008, 10:22:32 PM
Hey guys, sorry I started this (not in an angry way, just genuinely sorry).  All is well with me, while I do not feel right sharing PM's I thank all who dropped a line including the mods who responded.  I am satisfied with their explanation and have no ill will toward anyone.  All is good with me.  Bad week, bad month, bad year...I need a day at Fest!

Now for the expensive part...if you PM'd me BEFORE this post and happen to be at MNRF tomorrow allow me the honor of buying a round.  Each and every one of you are tops in my book.

Well...

I never PM'd you...But I'd be happy to buy you a mead! Provided I can get my wife up early enough to be at the 10:00 am meeting!

Lady_Glorianna

I am really resenting my MIL right know. The way Sir Dragon's health is right now, the last thing he needed was a stab in the back. I dont care she is his mother, she had no right to hurt him this way or so much. Her timing really suck!!!
Lady Elizabeth Poyntz
Ynez de Leon
Catherine of Austria, Queen consort of Portugal
Molly Blair

Athena

Well, that's just rich, being considered stupid by someone who can't speak the English language properly and considers People magazine high literature. Your opinion doesn't mean sh*t to me, so shut your fat face and slink back to the trailer park!
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples