News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What are some skills you think everyone should learn?

Started by Valiss, February 23, 2012, 10:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valiss

I'm often surprised how many people have no clue how to change the tire on their own car. I think more people should take 1/2 hour out of thier weekend and just practice it once; change the tire with teh spare. You'll learn where all the spare parts are store in your vehicle and you'll know how to change the tire. And you wont have to learn/figure all of this out when it's pouring rain on the side of a busy highway. 

What are some other skills you think everyone should learn?

DonaCatalina

1. How to milk a cow.
2. How to skin and dress a meat animal, or even a fish.
3. how to plant, tend and harvest some basic vegetables including potatoes.
4. How to shoot, for self defense if nothing else.
5. How to build a basic shelter from natural materials and build a fire.

These are basic survival skills that I think everyone should know. I have tried very hard to teach my daughter these things but she balked at the skinning. Most people think that these skills are unneccesary in a modern world. But it wasn't that long ago that a couple in their thirties died in north Colorado because they took a wrong turn in heavy snow and ended up on an abandoned logging road. So who knows what other circumstances might test your ability to feed and shelter yourself?
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Dona, you are spot on!  These skills may come in handy someday.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

PollyPoPo

Quote from: Valiss on February 23, 2012, 10:57:40 AM
I'm often surprised how many people have no clue how to change the tire on their own car. I think more people should take 1/2 hour out of thier weekend and just practice it once; change the tire with teh spare. You'll learn where all the spare parts are store in your vehicle and you'll know how to change the tire. And you wont have to learn/figure all of this out when it's pouring rain on the side of a busy highway. 

What are some other skills you think everyone should learn?

Daddy made me rotate the tires on my first car before he let me drive it.  Taught me how to change a tire, and why I should never drive alone to any place where I might have to do it myself.  Ever.  Ever.  Ever. 
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Elennare

I would add sewing (at least enough to mend tears, replace buttons, and such) to the list of important survival skills.

Also, swimming.
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

PollyPoPo

How to:

Read instructions.  
Use the internet to find the instructions.
Know when to call for someone else to help.
Know who to call.
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Captain Teague

The Code is the Law...

Auryn

great thread
I concur with everything listed so far.

Skills I think everyone should learn
1. how to test electrical wires to see if they are live- and actually do it
2. how to start a fire without matches
3.how to drive stick shift- my dad taught me how to drive when i was 14 with his stick shift truck- that way if something ever happened to him while we were on a road trip i wouldnt be stranded.
4. everyone should know how to use military/aviation alphabet - alpha, bravo, charlie, delta, echo, etc.  its so much easier to understand when someone is spelling something out to you, especially when they have accents
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Archer

These are good lists above.

Learn how to filter water when boiling is not possible.

Learn what you need for a basic medical go bag, including items to provide minor injury treatment.

Secure a few books on treatment of trauma; survival in extreme climates of cold and heat.

Learn map reading and how to use a compass and terrain/topical maps.

Determine if you want to know more about having a survival seed bank.  Some do not know about genetically altered seeds.  http://www.survivalseedbank.com/?gclid=CNPO4NTbtK4CFYFgTAodXk01Sw.  I feel comfortable vouching for this source for that type of item,  from personal experience.

Boy Scout Motto is "Be prepared" so, simply "be prepared" is not a bad idea.  If you don't need it in your lifetime, you have something to pass on to those you might care for,  who may need/use, down the road.

Want a better world ?   Be a better person.

Every person is a new door to a different world.

SirRichardBear

Two books which I think should be in every home

How to Build a Fire: And Other Handy Things Your Grandfather Knew

How to Sew a Button: And Other Nifty Things Your Grandmother Knew
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

raevyncait

*How to check the oil, coolant, wiper fluid, and other generally accessible fluids in their car, and where to add to them if necessary
*How to check the pressure in the tires, AND how to add air if necessary (one would think this is fairly self-explanatory, but given that I know a 21 year old who DESTROYED the rim on the classic Jaguar he bought from his aunt because he had a flat, in the WalMart parking lot, the spare was on it because another tire had a leak in it, and he didn't know how to add air to the leaky one so he could put it back on to get the 4 miles home, so he drove on the flat)
*How to cook a basic meal, even if it's chicken nuggets and macaroni & cheese, using a stove and oven, instead of a microwave
*How to operate a washing machine (and preferably a dryer)
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Merlin the Elder

The skill that seems to elude the most people, in my opinion, is simple logic. But then, I'm a computer geek, and one of those rare idiots that reads the manual.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

angusmacinnes

What Dona and Bear said for sure and the other things mentioned here.  And Merlin reading the manuel is always a good place to start.
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: DonaCatalina on February 23, 2012, 11:16:42 AM
1. How to milk a cow.
2. How to skin and dress a meat animal, or even a fish.
3. how to plant, tend and harvest some basic vegetables including potatoes.
4. How to shoot, for self defense if nothing else.
5. How to build a basic shelter from natural materials and build a fire.

These are basic survival skills that I think everyone should know. I have tried very hard to teach my daughter these things but she balked at the skinning. Most people think that these skills are unneccesary in a modern world. But it wasn't that long ago that a couple in their thirties died in north Colorado because they took a wrong turn in heavy snow and ended up on an abandoned logging road. So who knows what other circumstances might test your ability to feed and shelter yourself?

Spot on... good basics.  All other survival skills stem from these general ones.  My G.O.O.D bag and 30 seconds in my weapons locker and i could pull back into the boonies for a long time.  ;D ;)
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

SirRichardBear

Always liked this from the notebooks of Lazarus Long

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects!

Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin