News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Your Fave Halloween Movies

Started by maelstrom0370, October 18, 2008, 07:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maelstrom0370

Ok, 'tis the season to scare and be scared!!
Just wonderin' what everyone's favorite horror/thriller/creepy movies are?
What do you like to curl up with this time of year?

Some of mine include:

Exorcist but go for the Director's Cut.  The creepy "crab-walk" scene is a killer.
Exorcist 3 George C. Scott and Brad Douriff are Amaz-za-zing in this movie.  If you haven't seen it, it's uber-creepy with just enough "gotcha" moments to make it a classic.  No spinning heads or pea soup, though.  It's actually closer to a murder mystery.
Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 If you haven't seen it, give it a shot.  It's nothing like the first one and there's a bunch of creepy "easter eggs" throughout the movie that just add to the weirdness.
The Amityville Horror is always a classic, but I prefer the original.
The Evil Dead is chock full of low-budget goodness.  Anything after this one is when the series started to get campy (Not that there's anything wrong with that), but the original is horror through and through.
Event Horizon Think Amityville Horror meets Exorcist in SPACE!  If you haven't seen this little gem, it is FULL of awesome!

Anyways...those are just a few of my personal faves.  What about you?

Welsh Wench

Well, dang, Maelstrom---how can you forget the original The Shining?
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

maelstrom0370

Quote from: Welsh Wench on October 18, 2008, 09:42:54 AM
Well, dang, Maelstrom---how can you forget the original The Shining?

I didn't forget it....I live it every winter!!! :o

Tipsy Gypsy

American Werewolf in London. Still the Best. Transformation. Evar.
"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

maelstrom0370

Quote from: Tipsy Gypsy on October 18, 2008, 11:04:45 AM
American Werewolf in London. Still the Best. Transformation. Evar.

Nazi Werewolves! FTW!!

Anna Iram

I love The Shinning. Scariest book ever!

Rosemary's Baby: Not so scary by todays slasher standards, but how can you not love Ruth Gordon and John Casevetties hunting for the perfect mother/host for Satan.

Night of the Living Dead/Dawn of the Dead: There's a whole school of thought on which zombies are better. Those in the original or the running zombies in the remake. Me..I like a nice mix.  

Halloween: Gotta see this once each year. The slasher that started it all.

maelstrom0370

Quote from: Anna Iram on October 18, 2008, 11:29:03 AM
Night of the Living Dead/Dawn of the Dead: There's a whole school of thought on which zombies are better. Those in the original or the running zombies in the remake. Me..I like a nice mix.  

I've always been more partial to the slow moving, shambling ones.  Today's fast ones are good for "gotcha" moments, but the slow ones make you think you can get away...right up until they swarm your arse!

Welsh Wench

OK Maelstrom, so this is kind of a mini-movie and although I can't stand him, this does have its merit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtyJbIOZjS8

maelstrom0370

Quote from: Welsh Wench on October 18, 2008, 11:43:06 AM
OK Maelstrom, so this is kind of a mini-movie and although I can't stand him, this does have its merit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtyJbIOZjS8

Grrrr! Stupid "Sonic Wall"!!  >:(
I'll have to watch it when I get home.

Welsh Wench

You might want to re-think that.
It was 'Thriller'!  ;D

I know 'House on Haunted Hill' made me turn all the lights on when I was a kid.

maelstrom0370

Quote from: Welsh Wench on October 18, 2008, 12:00:23 PM
It was 'Thriller'!  ;D

Awwww...Have some respect for the Thriller!

Ooooo House on Haunted Hill!!!  I remember watching that on the Saturday Creature Feature as a kid.

Lady Neysa

I think Michael Jackson today is much scarier than zombie Michael :o  ::).  I don't like him either, but Thriller was  a pretty cool video, of course it wouldn't have been as good without Vincent Price.

Welsh Wench

Yeah, Zombie Michael looks more human!

Lady Nicolette

Quote from: Welsh Wench on October 18, 2008, 12:00:23 PM
It was 'Thriller'!  ;D

"House on Haunted Hill" still makes me wonder what will meet my hand when I go to turn on a light switch around a corner!
Also, although not Halloween in particular, both "The Turn of the Screw" and "The Other," are great scary films.
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Cloverpogue

Beetlejuice~saw it when it first came out in theaters, and the firts time I heard the f bomb dropped. *lol* I was 10.

On tv: how can you forget The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown? Love it.'I was robbed! I could've gone out for tricks or treats!'

The Garfield Halloween special~

Witch's Night Out~with Gilda Radner

The Halloween Tree~

The Rocky Horror Picture Show~

anything Scooby Doo~

Hocus Pocus~

Bram Stoker's Dracula~

Dracula~ with Bela Lugosi, of course  :)

The Nightmare Before Christmas~ I love Jack Skellington, I saw that the first time round in theaters~

Young Frankenstein~ so many gone now from that cast, God Rest their souls~

TV: The Munsters, and the Addams Family; mom grew up watching them, as did I in reruns, and so did my daughter~  I still want Lily Munster's dress.  I loved how they both saw nothing wrong with how they were, and how every one else was 'plain, or ugly'. So wonderful. I would have loved to have both for neighbors.  I also loved the Addams Family movies.

Halloween Town on Disney~ great for kids, and a neat idea where Halloween Town is an actual place there.

Elvira, Mistress of the Dark~ campy, but we knew that, already, and she had another movie out awhile back, Haunted Hills, I believe, with Richard O'Brien.

oh, I'll think of more...
sorry, my cousins scarred me for life with horror movies when they rented 'Nightmare on Elm Street' when it first came out, and I was smacking my sister on the way out of the theater when we saw 'Dead Silence' last year.  As if I wasn't already terrified of ventrilioquist dummies. *lol* Really good scary movie, though.
~The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves~ Keeper of the Pirate Joe Bear, Capn'Car'nage, Mistress of Mischief~